loud clunking noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nav

Reaction score
gotta 05 d22 str.
i was 4wd the other week north of perth. and i went over a mound, and the front end was airborn and i think i had my foot down whilst it was still in the air and as it landed. cant remember.
then after this in the sand i could hear a loud clunking noise in the front end, going back and forth. i went home and had a mate come an have a quick gander.
only when in 4wd and on full lock turning i can hear the loud clunking noise.
mate could see the driveshaft to the front end rickashaying with the clunking noises. he said it could be the cvs but not entirely sure. am thinking it could be the transfer case, as when hubs are locked and in 2wd theres nothing. but when in 4wd and hubs arent locked theres nothing either.
if anyone has any knowledge of this also, would be great help. just want to know would im most likely to be dealing with, as im only an apprentice n cant afford just to chuk her in the shop.
cheers for any info.

The front diff in the diesels is known for not liking that treatment.

The V6 petrol front diff is stronger.

If it is the diff do what Dave said and put the R200A front diff in it from the V6.
I run a gen 3 V8 in mine and have had no dramas with my diffs and mine was a V6.
It wont be your transfer case if the noise is up the front.check your CV's first,you will know if they are stuffed or not,as they will be snapped in half or you will have alot of play in them.They should'nt move.If they are ok it will most likely be the diff and they are fairly easy to change over if you are mechanically minded.Where abouts are you in Aus

cheers guys.
ah in perth, wa.
had a play with the wheels and doesnt seem to be much play in each of the wheels up front. and from an outside look of the cvs they look pretty good/no visible damage.
whats the diff between the petrol and diesel diffs?
and its the petrol diffs that can have a locker put in them arent they?
will i have to pull the diff out to inspect it, to see if it is the cause?

gotta 05 d22 str.
i was 4wd the other week north of perth. and i went over a mound, and the front end was airborn and i think i had my foot down whilst it was still in the air and as it landed. cant remember.
then after this in the sand i could hear a loud clunking noise in the front end, going back and forth. i went home and had a mate come an have a quick gander.
only when in 4wd and on full lock turning i can hear the loud clunking noise.
mate could see the driveshaft to the front end rickashaying with the clunking noises. he said it could be the cvs but not entirely sure. am thinking it could be the transfer case, as when hubs are locked and in 2wd theres nothing. but when in 4wd and hubs arent locked theres nothing either.
if anyone has any knowledge of this also, would be great help. just want to know would im most likely to be dealing with, as im only an apprentice n cant afford just to chuk her in the shop.
cheers for any info.

mines doing same thing, i was 4wding other day and going up hill and it was clunking flat out but only in 4wd with hubs locked and under load, in 4wd with hubs unlocked it does nothing, it mainly does it when turn left or go up a hill when its under load, took left cv out got it checked from driveshaft place (quick inspection and felt with hand, he didnt open it like i preferred him to) and he said no they feel fine probably the diff so i went to trans gears n diffs and showed him the noise and he reckons the cv's??? i put all new bearings in front wheels and driveshaft bearings and seals cause they were a tad noisy, checked all of front suspension, today i laid beside the nav while mate drove car back n fourth in 4wd 4low to make the clunk noise and it sounded like coming from transfer case so i rang nis 4x4 and asked him how much he wants, anyways he asked me why whats wrong with mine and i described it all to him and straight away he said 'na its ur rear diff thats the noise noise it makes and u will only notice it in 4wd when u turn, he also said he sells a couple diffs a day and hardly ever sells transfer case cause there pretty good in the navaras' ???? if it was diff i should be hearing noises in 2 or 4wd if its rooted, my mate said its probably blown lsd, but when we testing it today and stalling up (foot on brake and accelerator) the navara to see if i had broken engine mount well the diff was hopping a little bit and spinning a little bit on the concrete like i was doing a burnout and it wasn't clunking then either and that was under a lot of load,

im thinking front diff is my opinion....???????
how much to rebuild front diff roughly??
is it a head f^$%^ to put in v6 diff??
is it just swap diff and use differant driveshafts or is there more to it than that??

:hmmmm2: :dontknow: :feedback:

I'd say diff mate, mine went and it made loud clunking noises like you described, I kept driving and my transfer case ended up letting go too, I've done cvs aswell but they didn't make as bad of a noise, I got second hand front diff from wreckers for 600 real easy to change over too, if you or a mate have alright mechanical knowledge be piece of piss

What was the problem mate? My nav is having similar problems. Clunking when 4x4 is engaged

Hi there. Mine was doing the same thing. And after much finding. I found out that it was a loose nut on the independent suspension that attached to the chassis.

Let me know how u go.

Latest posts

Back