Clunk noise after lift kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAM1798

Reaction score
Hello, I upgraded my shocks to some Rancho Quick Lift in the front giving 2 inch lift. I noticed a clunk in the front after this when getting to a bump or so. In order to try and fix this I installed the profender control arms but I still get that clunk noise and seems to be hitting the top of the Stut still. Any recomendations?

It's probably the upper control arm (UCA) hitting the strut tower. I fixed this problem by installing 25mm extended UCA ball joints. There are also replacement UCA's available designed to not hit the strut tower.

I made a short video for D40 owners who might be interested in the 25mm extended UCA ball joints.

It's probably the upper control arm (UCA) hitting the strut tower. I fixed this problem by installing 25mm extended UCA ball joints. There are also replacement UCA's available designed to not hit the strut tower.

I made a short video for D40 owners who might be interested in the 25mm extended UCA ball joints.

Before changing the original suspension to a rancho shocks I installed the extendend ball joints and the sound reduced but not at all. Now that I have an adjustable suspension with profender control arms the sound when going through a bump is still there. It’s when the suspension goes down when I hear the sound. I did some tests and seems that with these new control arms is not touching the strut, I’m thinking it’s maybe a normal behaviour. What do you think about this?

Before changing the original suspension to a rancho shocks I installed the extendend ball joints and the sound reduced but not at all. Now that I have an adjustable suspension with profender control arms the sound when going through a bump is still there. It’s when the suspension goes down when I hear the sound. I did some tests and seems that with these new control arms is not touching the strut, I’m thinking it’s maybe a normal behaviour. What do you think about this?
You'll have to investigate. Attach a GoPro style camera under there to video what's going on.

In the front end there is a frame that holds the radiator, condenser and intercooler. It is attached to the body chassis by 4 front facing bolts on either side. You need to look up in front of the plastic inner guard to see these bolts. If those bolts are loose or any are missing you will hear a noise that sounds like it is your uca's or bushes making it very difficult to identify the problem. Carefully check these first. Mine would make a noise each time I hit a slight bump in the road, took ages took figure out where it was coming from. Had two bolts missing and the other two getting loose on the drivers side.

In the front end there is a frame that holds the radiator, condenser and intercooler. It is attached to the body chassis by 4 front facing bolts on either side. You need to look up in front of the plastic inner guard to see these bolts. If those bolts are loose or any are missing you will hear a noise that sounds like it is your uca's or bushes making it very difficult to identify the problem. Carefully check these first. Mine would make a noise each time I hit a slight bump in the road, took ages took figure out where it was coming from. Had two bolts missing and the other two getting loose on the drivers side.
Any chance you have a picture of what I’m supposed to check? I checked there but not sure if it’s the correct part I’m looking for

IMG_4944.jpeg

This is what it looks like

Is that a D40 Nav? The bolts for the frame are higher up behind the plastic mudguard inner, they are difficult to get to. I didn't see them until I had removed the Plastic mudguard Inner and that was when I could see there was two missing bolts and the other two bolts were loose. I replaced the missing bolts and tightened the other two and there was no more noise. I cannot photograph the exact spot without taking it all apart again as I have a bull bar as well. Height wise the bolts from memory were about 2/3 the tyre height and they face directly ahead to the front of the vehicle at the edge of the chassis. My vehicle is a D40 STX-550 Spain built, there may be some variation if yours is Thai built. You may be able to see the bolts without removing the inner if your can pry the front part of the inner back to look behind it.

Latest posts

Back