diy water tanks or water carrying solutions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RASCAL

Reaction score
hey tropps

any one got any ideas or something they have put together to make the water carring thing more easyer . doesnt have to be just water tanks could be jerry cans or so on , whats ecery one doing out there to make it easyer for them selfs

Someone a few weeks back was talking about using Poly Pipe, although that might have been under a steel tray and utilising the wasted space a bit better I don't remember who that was but someone might.

I used to use the square food-grade Willow 25L water containers that had a tap. You can take the tap off and seal it with the bung supplied in the lid (you take the bung out of the lid before filling it, then keep the taps handy). This lets you move them around to distribute the weight evenly, you can cart 'em over to where the water is if needed - very easy and inexpensive.

Nowadays of course the 'van has a pair of 59L tanks underneath, but I still take a couple of cordial bottles (made of the soft plastic, not the PET stuff) in the Engel in case we need some cold water.

There is plenty of room under the tub. The wall spaces alone (between the outer and inner skins of the tub) would hold 40+ litres on each side with ease, and I remember someone either selling or making flexible bags that used these spots.

If you were just taking the Navara and using tents/swags (whether a roof-tent or a peg-in-ground type) and not towing anything, you might consider filling the voids under the tub with water tanks.

I'd suggest four things if you do it...

First, make sure they're mounted in such a way that the tap will allow every drop of water to be emptied from them.

Second, when you've finished with the tanks, pour a strong bicarb of soda solution into the tank, drive it around and empty it out. This keeps the tanks clean and the water untainted.

Third, don't rely on those tanks for fresh drink-from-the-tap water when you're in the desert regions. At christmas, our tanks - despite having a shield - got so hot we could shower directly from the tanks without using a water heater.

Fourth, be aware of how much weight they add to your vehicle. 1 litre of water weighs 1kg, and the tanks will weigh a little too. Don't overload the vehicle!

heres what i've done, 60l tank, and hand pump. integrated to drawer system. Normally if I'm camping, I've got my two sons with me, so I got sick of lugging in and out 2 20l Jerrys, and trying to tie them to something in the ute.

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 393
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 383
i like that seems real easy and out of the way something like that would work awesome along side my tailgate table i put together
:)

Last edited:
Before the CT, we were using the 20L water containers, similar to what Tony described. Not some of these will hold a tap under the lid, so you only need a 1/2" bar to swap the bung out/in. The water load was 6 down the centre of the tub.and old ones with tops removed as rubbish bins/whatever on top.

As someone said it can be a PITA moving them. Would set the 25 L on the trailer triangle and just siphon out of a 20L when it ran down.

Now we have a CT with a 65L tank which we are yet to use on a trip. plus I can put another 2-4 of the above water containers on the side of the CT. Either the middle of the tub or the side position will hold jerry cans of fuel when/if needed. Well that is the plan.

Latest posts

Back