DIY roof rack

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am about to make myself a roof rack for my D40 similar to the one below:

I can buy one ready made for anywhere from $700 to over a grand, but if I make my own I can make it exactly how I want. I was thinking of having some kind of full size shovel holder on one side, and clamps on the other side to hold a bit of 100mm PVC pipe to hold my tarp poles. I dont want spotties on the front, but I will put a little wind sheild on there like the bought ones.

Obviously weight is a big issue, and I cant put a full floor in it to walk on or anything because the roof racks wont hold the weight anyway.

Is there anything else I should think of?

I saw a D40 on saturday that had a canopy and rack on the roof.He has his hi lift jack mounted on the side of his rack.

On my patrol full length roof rack I have a high lift bracket on the back, on the passenger side I have some sail track and some pvc tarp attached for shade and on the drivers side there is a shovel rack. Works bloody well although its off most of the time as it won't fit under anything with it on. Just a few ideas for you.

I have a similar problem at the moment as I need some sort of racks to carry longer items like tent / gazebo when we go camping but I don't know how to do it.

ARB do a full rack that is super strong obviously but I don't want it on all the time and storing it is a pita. It is hard to find any pics of a navara with one on too to get an idea how they look. It is a hood lining out job to fit the mounting rails too. Not a big deal I guess but hard to think about on a new vehicle.

Rhino do a track mount rack system that rivots to the roof on the outer rail so you can take the racks off when not in use. Apparently able to carry up to 100kg

I think I like the look of the ARB one but no pics to confirm.

Are you sure you will be better off building one as the factory rack mounts are a compromise really and they affect the top door seal too.

I finally got a start on it today, mine is just going to mount straight on my roof racks so I dont have to have any different mounts. The only downside is I can't put a lot of weight in there. It should be really handy for my tarps, swag etc though.

Will get some progress pics up when there is something productive to see next week.

I got a bit done today, just got to finish welding it all now, drill a few holes for brackets and then off to the powdercoaters.

Um not sure exactly mate, I would say maybe $150 in stainless tube etc. Powdercoating will be maybe another $100 to $150. So about $250-$300 should pull it up I would say.

I still havent got it completely finished, just got to be welded up and dropped down the the powdercoaters with my sidesteps.

She's all finished! (sorry pretty poor pics)

Im pretty happy with it, I have put holes in one side and got clamps to hold my shovel for beach trips, and will mount a bit of PVC pipe on the other side to hold poles etc. I am using stainless U bolts to hold it on so that I can take it off when I am not using it. I made it all out of stainless tube and got it powdercoated gloss black, so if (when) it gets scratched it wont rust up.

Last edited:
Might sing a bit ?

If tubular thin wall E-W rail, they may sing a bit against a head wind. Back when tube steel roof racks (rubber cups/gutter clamps) first came out, we know someone who had the tranny pulled out of a new Holden trying to stop a singing noise. After two trips to workshop, mechanic put hand up onto roof rack while at speed (glass down, no air those days) and could feel the vibes. Tranny no longer got the blame. You may need a easy (for you) to make spoiler;-) I have noticed the small spoiler on front of my Rhino™ Rack (on my Wrangler)http:cuts all noise and don't have to tie things down as much

Looks great Mat,

I'm considering making something similar on the D22 - but a bit longer. Think I'll ditch the role bar & make two new one (front and rear) then stick a rack on them. I want it removable too, and it'll be carrying the second spare.

Can I ask why you didn't go the full length?

Can I ask why you didn't go the full length?

It was just much easier to use standard off the shelf roof racks and keep it short mate. I have got a high roof canopy on now too so the rack would have to be rediculously high to go across both. I have made a couple of bigger ones up to put on ebay too, my mate has just put one on his patrol and it works a treat, they were 1800 x 1200. I could use one of them but it would have to sit really high over the canopy.

If tubular thin wall E-W rail, they may sing a bit against a head wind. Back when tube steel roof racks (rubber cups/gutter clamps) first came out, we know someone who had the tranny pulled out of a new Holden trying to stop a singing noise. After two trips to workshop, mechanic put hand up onto roof rack while at speed (glass down, no air those days) and could feel the vibes. Tranny no longer got the blame. You may need a easy (for you) to make spoiler;-) I have noticed the small spoiler on front of my Rhino™ Rack (on my Wrangler)http:cuts all noise and don't have to tie things down as much

Yeah it did make a bit of noise like that mate so I put a wind break on the front and it made it silent. Amazing.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back