Desert parks pass

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey all, so me and a mate are headed west at the end of June, looking to do the birdsville track and the oodnadatta track, as well as finke gorge and kings canyon area, Uluru, etc.

I know were going to need a desert parks pass. Where can you get these from? How much? Where online can I find more information?

depending on exactly where you are going you will need a South Australian Desert Pass which comes in a pack including maps and safety information. You might also need to purchase a Qld desert camp pass - see links below for further information and to order your passes.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Park_Entry_Fees/Parks_Passes
Simpson Desert National Park - About Simpson Desert (Department of Environment and Resource Management)
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/sanpr/simpsondesertcp/visit.html

we are heading off next month (from Brissy) going south around the simpson and then crossing back across the simpson - hopefully we'll get through, but at this stage it looks like we will get to within 70ks of Birdsville and have to turn around and come back (can't cross the river) - so at least we get to do the simpson twice!

It's very wet around there and a lot of roads are still cut, so you might want to have a plan "B" and lots of fuel - I'm happy to throw you all of our info and you can use or discard as required.

cheers

de

Last edited:
in terms of closed roads - local Councils have a good info of what roads will be like as well - esp if recent rain (tho your trip is out of wet season). If you can't get any info from RTA's then call the local council office. Roads Inspectors with councils really have good local knowledge so......

depending on exactly where you are going you will need a South Australian Desert Pass which comes in a pack including maps and safety information. You might also need to purchase a Qld desert camp pass - see links below for further information and to order your passes.

Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Parks Passes
Simpson Desert National Park - About Simpson Desert (Department of Environment and Resource Management)
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/sanpr/simpsondesertcp/visit.html

we are heading off next month (from Brissy) going south around the simpson and then crossing back across the simpson - hopefully we'll get through, but at this stage it looks like we will get to within 70ks of Birdsville and have to turn around and come back (can't cross the river) - so at least we get to do the simpson twice!

It's very wet around there and a lot of roads are still cut, so you might want to have a plan "B" and lots of fuel - I'm happy to throw you all of our info and you can use or discard as required.

cheers

de

thanks for the links mate! can you pm me your email address? i'll send through a rough sketch of our itinerary, it looks like we're going to be doing much of a similar trek, brissy-birdsville-marree-oodnadatta-finke-uluru-alice-mt isa-longreach-rockhampton-brissy.

Latest posts

Back