turning the snorkl top

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
hi guys
i drive a d22 03 and i was woundering if i turn the snorkl top around if i will do any damage to the engien?

cheers steve

would that be better for driving in heavy rain?

in heavy rain yes. quite a few turn the snorkels side on.
however some have found the stock drain holes in some snorkels are not big enough and you can get you filter full of water (and bits of filter into turbo etc).

The back of the snorkel heads have a drain.

My snorkel has been on for 100,000km's and no issues. Been driving in every weather pattern.

Dave.

Ive seen a few around turned backwards as well, you would lose the much advertised 'Ram air effect' but it would certainly help keep water out in heavy rain.

My Airtec/Nissan snorkel has a drain built into the top but I would question its ability to drain a lot of water quickly.

snrkl_raindisperse.jpg

If you turn the head around when its dusty it sucks in more dust as there is a vacumm behind the head.

Dave.

iv got a safari snorkeli dont konw if there is a drain hole but i dont think so

cheers steve

ive been told in heavy rain its advisable to turn the head backwards but for all other conditions leave it alone. you could also try those pre snorkel filters. has anyone tried them yet, just keen to see if they actually do much

Matty

I think your more likely to get run over when you pull over to turn the snorkle head around, than a bit of rain sitting in the bottom of your aircleaner box doing any damage. The guy's up North with 85%+ humidity are sucking in water saturated air every day, doesnt seem to cause them any problems.

high humidity doesn't do jack because it evaporated water and it goes straight through filter. however water, even rain water, geting in and wetting the paper can cause big problems.

provided the snorkel catchs the rain its not a problem. one of the patrol guys had a filter get soaked and colapse due to the snorkel head not draining away the heavy rain.
a lot of them just turn the snorkel sideways.

pre snorkel filters......just be carefull. in some motors the added restriction can cause turbo seals to leak. the added restriction won't do power or economy any good either.

high humidity doesn't do jack because it evaporated water and it goes straight through filter. however water, even rain water, geting in and wetting the paper can cause big problems.

provided the snorkel catchs the rain its not a problem. one of the patrol guys had a filter get soaked and colapse due to the snorkel head not draining away the heavy rain.
a lot of them just turn the snorkel sideways.

pre snorkel filters......just be carefull. in some motors the added restriction can cause turbo seals to leak. the added restriction won't do power or economy any good either.
But the only way for the rain to get to the filter is by been carried by the air so it is going to be vaporised through the filter! Most air boxes have a valve in the bottom to let any condenssed or caputered water drain out.
9. shows where any condenssed water or rain is captured before the air comes into the filter box, it's bacically a 2 stage air box, this is for a D40, I'm sure the D22 is similar

Attachments

• air cleaner.jpg
    air cleaner.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
there is way to much to be evaporated out LOL

with most snorkel installs, the water outlets are removed or sealed closed as they act as water entry points for when you drive through water. they are replaced by the water outlets in the snorkel hat.

there is way to much to be evaporated out LOL

with most snorkel installs, the water outlets are removed or sealed closed as they act as water entry points for when you drive through water. they are replaced by the water outlets in the snorkel hat.

The water outlets are non return valves no water can come back into the air box. Check out the diagram in my previous post and you will understand how the system works.

have you ever looked at those one way valves?
mine i can put my finger through the wrong way. somehow thats not going to stop water getting in.
even the good one ways valves can still leak, which is why any decent 4x4 shop will rip them out and seal them up.

have you ever looked at those one way valves?
mine i can put my finger through the wrong way. somehow thats not going to stop water getting in.
even the good one ways valves can still leak, which is why any decent 4x4 shop will rip them out and seal them up.
LOL. Then the condenssed water can't get out!!! That's probably why the patrol had a stuffed air filter! You must have a drain, water/rain will ALWAYS condense in the air filter box!

don't have a choice. if they are not sealed you will suck water in throw dead water crossings.
however even with the big water drain in the pre filter the D22 has got, i get water past it and into the filter all the time. the drain really dosn't drain stuff all out.
condenssed water is hopefully small enough that it will evaporate out.

the patrol, he opened up the drain holes in the snorkel hat and hasn't had a problem since.

edit: i should add there are thousands of 4x4's with snorkels and fully sealed intake system (no drain holes) and they havn't soaked a filter due to lack of drain holes.
there has been more than a few drowned motors due to having drained holes.

Last edited:
The drain valve seals by the vacuum created in the airbox while the engine is running, it is a light valve so that it can open when the engine is switched off. So sticking your finger through it when the engines not running is fairly pointless exercise. Of course if you stall the engine in deep water then the valve will slowly leak.
I feel sorry for the 1000's of people who have been given the wrong advice or weren't told that they have had thier air boxes modified removing a design feature with out them knowing, possibly avoiding thier warranty.
But of course what would a bunch of Nissan automotive engineers know anyway,
Maybe we should patent auto revolving snorkle heads that sense when it's raining!
We'd sell thousdands!!!

Latest posts

Back