turning the snorkl top

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think in summary
If you have sealed drain holes, then yes turn your head around to avoid getting excess rain in.

If you have the factory air box then let the design features do thier job allowing the water to drain and leave the snorkle head facing forward.

I'll just add one more thing, here in Townsville we have very heavy monsoon raining/flooding almost every bloody wet season. I haven't turned the snorkel heads on either of my 4b's and have had no problems whatsoever with getting saturated air filters, I never even gave it a second thought. My D22 has the genuine nissan snorkel and there was no mention in the instructions to rotate the head when it rains, I find it quite funny actually. You will struggle to find a wetter place in this country except of course in the Tully region a couple of hours north who have the highest rainfall in the country.

One benefit of the rain we get. Taken Feb this year.

floodbarra1.jpg

Last edited:
hehe, yeah its not my pic its one of the local newspapers but it is definitely a classic.

when fitting an aftermarket safari snorkel, its instructions state that you must remove the air transfering tube off the air cleaner housing and bypass it so you intake pipe goes direct to the box itself.

directly after that it states to remove your box assembly and sikaflex all joining clips and all drains to ensure preventaion of water access during a river crossing.

hence my question about turning the head of snorkel in heavy rain as once water is taken in, it has no path to go out.

weather this be safari's fault or a desin fault from either party, i think in heavy heavy rain, it might be best to turn it just to 'make sure' no water can damage anything and prevent a failure.
you would think safari - (as have nissan) would have thought this threw but i can't say....

i think next time it pisses rain, i will drive around with snorkel fwd, then pull in the shed and remove top of box and see what water does enter.
then i will report back.

safari has drain holes in the hat at the back

tweak
i was just looking at my safari snorkel.
i cant see any drain holes in the intake cap. if u raise it, u can see gaps threw the slits where the clamp goes but that is the case on the front back & sides which is worse. thats the pipe leading into the airbox. water would flowstraight in

it almost needs a slight hole drilled in the back........

sorry my mem is a little rusty on it. it could be some models have holes, others are slots. they do the same job, let the water that hits the rear drain out. most snorkels work on that principle. the donaldson round hats are a little different but i hear that they add a fair bit of restriction.

i think there is a post on patrol4x4 forum at the mo about this. someone had trouble with water getting in while the vechile is parked.

if your really woried about it just fit some one way drains. just be aware that its a weak point for water to get sucked in during river crossings.

Latest posts

Back