Hand Brake help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happytimes

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I need some help adjusting the hand brake cable on my D21, it's extremely loose to pull up and it definatly won't hold the ute on a hill. I've found the adjuster under the car but it's as tight as it can go. I'm not sure what else to do to get it any tighter? Any thoughts?
Cheers

I havnt checked the hand brake cable on my D40 yet, but if the hand brake cable is anything like trailer brake cables, then you release the adjuster as much as you can and go to the brake ends of the cable and adjust there to take up most of the cable slack, then go back up to the hand brake adjuster to 'fine tune' ...

but i could be on completely the wrong tack ... ???

You can adjust it by loosening off the adjuster you have already tightened, then pull the drums off and adjust the drum to shoe clearance, then retighten the adjuster under the car. Download the D22 service manual (no major difference to the D21) from this forum, search for it

Alrighty thanks, I downloaded the D22 service manual I'll have a look at the brakes tomorow. Thanks for the help I'll let you know how I go.
Cheers

Look at the backing plate and there will be a slotted hole where you can get to the brake adjuster.Adjust these with a screwdriver whilst spinning the wheel while it is off the ground.When you feel the shoes starting to tighten up and the wheel is getting harder to turn stop adjusting them and make sure your wheel still spins,then adjust your cable underneath the drivers side of the car which is under the seat under the car.your hand brake cable should be no more than 8 clicks

Mate there is a guide pipe where it comes through the fire wall, they are prone to snapping rendering the handbrake useless.

Latest posts

Back