D40 Air Box/ Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDooit

Reaction score
As you all may or may not know the D40 hasn't got much engine bay space that isn't allocated. I'm looking to install a Safari Snorkel and in the mean time, build a new custom air filter box, or perhaps buy one from another car (like people who buy 80 series ones for D22s)

I have come across some issues with my plan and I'm just interested in using you guys as a sounding board. I was initially looking at using a K&N air filter so that I could get the exact size and specification I wanted to ensure maximum efficiency of air flow and also greatest allocation of space.

I'm quickly deciding against the K&N because they could be harder to come across in the bush, in fact no doubt they will. I'm also concerned with the oil coming off the filter and filling my AFM up with crap, already had to replace one due to muddy water coming through the stock paper one, (hence the need for a snorkel) and also a guy I know recommended against them for off-roading due to the fact that they just don't filter as well as paper does and with the increased level of ambient dust, I might as well just put a cup full in the engine myself (he's a bit of an exaggerator).

I guess my questions are, has anyone done a mod?
Has anyone used K&N and found them good or bad for off-roading (mainly concerned about desert runs)?
Has anyone got any advice along any of the topics or points of concern/ interest afore mentioned?

Hi mate,

I run a k&n panel filter with my safari snorkel, I've tried it offroad and it comes back all nice n dusty. Perhaps swiveling the snorkel head could help assist? But from now on I use my paper filter offroad and k&n onroad.

As you all may or may not know the D40 hasn't got much engine bay space that isn't allocated. I'm looking to install a Safari Snorkel and in the mean time, build a new custom air filter box, or perhaps buy one from another car (like people who buy 80 series ones for D22s)

I have come across some issues with my plan and I'm just interested in using you guys as a sounding board. I was initially looking at using a K&N air filter so that I could get the exact size and specification I wanted to ensure maximum efficiency of air flow and also greatest allocation of space.

I'm quickly deciding against the K&N because they could be harder to come across in the bush, in fact no doubt they will. I'm also concerned with the oil coming off the filter and filling my AFM up with crap, already had to replace one due to muddy water coming through the stock paper one, (hence the need for a snorkel) and also a guy I know recommended against them for off-roading due to the fact that they just don't filter as well as paper does and with the increased level of ambient dust, I might as well just put a cup full in the engine myself (he's a bit of an exaggerator).

I guess my questions are, has anyone done a mod?
Has anyone used K&N and found them good or bad for off-roading (mainly concerned about desert runs)?
Has anyone got any advice along any of the topics or points of concern/ interest afore mentioned?

Just wondering how you went with the air box mod?

Pod filter

Has anyone thought about removing air box altogether and using a pod filter on the top of the snorkel. To maybe allow second battery under the bonnet.

I've been thinking about this the past few weeks...was thinking a stainless (just cos I have some) air box an mabee slip in a battery...havnt done any measurements yet....I need a snorkel soon so mabee a all in one SS snork and airbox

got a shelf full of d40 goodies and a overflowing shed full of work.. Just need to find the time...but back to the airbox...is the standard d40 air filter any good?I like off the shelf consumable parts so the filter would have to be 'off the shelf' easy replacement....and if I don't baffle the new box will it be too noisey?

I removed that baffled pipe feeding the airbox, its a fair bit noisier, but it isnt plumbed into a snorkle or anything.
Its just open to the engine bay until I work out what im doing nxt. Improves spool abit & seems to rev a touch faster down low

So with the increase in noise I guess if a snork was fitted that could transfer that sound to the roof and it might not be so loud?

here is my set up
3yrs.jpg

theres really not much room left

you might be able to use a small foot print battery with the space left aka a fairly tall one but short width/length

but u would be better off using the space differently like a compressor

Ah cool.now that's the k&n pod filter right?...was thinking bout my compressor and where that was going to fit...battery is already in da tub.

So with the increase in noise I guess if a snork was fitted that could transfer that sound to the roof and it might not be so loud?

Yeah thats what Im guessing...
At idle you can hear a reasonably loud engine sound (chugging) & on boost the air rushing into the box is quite loud.
Im thinking that ill keep the standard airbox because it's of decent size & when the ducting is removed there's a 4 inch hole in the bottom to feed cold air into.
Ive just gotta work out if im going to plumb it back up to the gaurd, or somewhere else.
I wasnt planning on getting a snorkle because 90% of my offroad driving is on the beach & I aren't interested in drowning my new Nav in a river crossing.

Latest posts

Back