which uhf?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
considering buying a uhf for my d22, doesnt have to be anything special, leaning towards uniden, dont know why lol, are they easy to install? info and ball park prices would be great, thanks :peace:

Prices will vary depending on where you get them and what's available and brand names mean very little to most people because very few companies make radios that don't work. As far as fitment goes I'm sure there is a few threads in the D22 section that give how to and ideas on that sort of thing, but if you understand something as simple as red wire goes to spark and black doesn't you can hook up a radio.

I can't remember off hand - but one of the popular brands is made in china, the other Aus (if that makes a difference to you). Ask about, I'm sure someone will know which is which.

G'day Scooba

What do want to use it for?

I have a little Uniden 12SX. It is mainly used for listening to truckies shouts about "traffic hazards" etc. It’s also useful for convoying. Not a huge range but you get what you pay for.

Mine is mounted in the centre console beside the hand brake lever. Have a look at the pic’s in my profile.

It works fine for what I want. No drama’s with it. I bought it 4 or 5 years ago at a 4x4 show. Have a look on ebay.

Goldy

Get an 80 channel one would be my recommendation (or least a 40 channel that can be upgraded to 80).

I went the GME TX3340 because there is no face plate needed, everything is on the hand piece so it looks neat and tidy, but I'd consider an 80 channel.

Mate the 40 channels wont be illegal! It will be just like the old 18 channel 27megs, You'll just miss out.
Scooba most of the makes out there will do the trick for you if matched up to a good aerial, Dick smith are selling all there non upgradable radios really cheap if that will do you.

considering buying a uhf for my d22, doesnt have to be anything special, leaning towards uniden, dont know why lol, are they easy to install? info and ball park prices would be great, thanks :peace:

Mate, depending on what year your D22 is depends on how easy to install mounting wise. As for installing them electrically, as krafty said, red to spark black to no spark. They can be hooked into ignition or accessories so can only be one when key is turned on or engine running etc. however i am not a fan of doing this.

As for brands and models to get, if you're not expecting anything super fancy then any brand should suffice. Uniden's some people love, some people hate. I personally have one and it has been fine, get good range and i'm clear and recieve clearly. GME are much the same, but probably with slightly more people prefering GME. In my use of them they have seemed pretty good. Icom are expensive, however they are also a bloody good radio, i have one of these as well.

Definitely make sure you buy an 80 channel radio. Most should now be 80 channel and as of 1st june you can use the full 80 channels. Go to the prestige communications website, they are in perth, and have a look on there. They were the cheapest prices i could find and they give pretty quick delivery considering it is coming from other side of the country.

Mitch

thanks guys, ended up getting a Uniden UH7700NB UHF + handheld + antenna off ebay, pretty good price too.

Bouncing the thread.

Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion?

Sending the boss off to get the NRMA service when the CT went bung has resulted in agreement to obtaining a UHF CB for the Nav in the hope that it might get assistance when the mobile phone doesn't work(bloody trees {:)}}} ).

I have always bought and used GME and found them to be tough and have good warranty and pretty sure Aussie made. Prestige communications are in WA (check them on the net). They have great prices and are excellent to deal with. I have no alliance to them but have bought from them a couple of times.

ill just stick with the gme tx4400 fits snug in dash of my 09 d22 just under radio looks good to , pikced up power from cigeret lighter. As for the new 80 channel digital sets there a rort i recon, so far you can still only use 40 of them as the others havnt been alocated yet and when they are you can be sure they will be aloceted to police and fire thet sort of thing there for you will be able to listen but not transmit, also if you have one of the new digital sets you will find that they are closed from transmitting on 22 and23, places like gencom are not allowed by law to open these back up so for my money at least i would stick to the old analog sets,

I have a GMEtx3100 in mine...great little unit...im running a 6.5db aerial and my best range has been out to 25kms on the flat stuff. Fits nicely underneath the radio too as someone already has mentioned. Last i checked they were going for about $240 on ebay.

tiny, but functional. I'd also recommend you run the power separately from the battery, means you dont have to have the ignition on for the UHF to work. just my 1 cent!

Cheers,

Falcon

Last edited:
I've bought one of those GME 3540 with the remote display.

Being a CB'er from the really old days (running a Pearce-Simpson for those that remember) I was a little wary of the remote display - but I love it. Makes things much easier.

I've also learnt that your UHF is only gonna be as good as the other persons your talking to. I've got a few mates with shit ones and you can't hear them properly

ill just stick with the gme tx4400 fits snug in dash of my 09 d22 just under radio looks good to , pikced up power from cigeret lighter. As for the new 80 channel digital sets there a rort i recon, so far you can still only use 40 of them as the others havnt been alocated yet and when they are you can be sure they will be aloceted to police and fire thet sort of thing there for you will be able to listen but not transmit, also if you have one of the new digital sets you will find that they are closed from transmitting on 22 and23, places like gencom are not allowed by law to open these back up so for my money at least i would stick to the old analog sets,

I'm sorry but you are totally wrong with that info

Emergency services use different frequencies so it wouldn't be a problem. That's why you need a specific scanner to listen to them

Now i am on a computer i will explain why that is wrong.

Firstly: The new sets are not "digital". The difference is that they have split the bandwidth to add the extra channels, so instead of being 25khz spaced the new 80 channels are 12.5.

Secondly: The allocation is for CB UHF. CB = citizen band - means for everyday unlicensed people, you, me, joe blogs etc. They will not go to fire ambulance police etc, they already have NUMEROUS channels. You will and for that matter CAN transmit on the extra 40 channels.

Thirdly: The reason that the sets are blocked from transmitting on 22 & 23 is because these are reserved for telemetry. Must add in channels 61, 62, 63 are also blocked for future use. These are the ones either side of 22 & 23. Meaning no voice communications are to be transmitted on them, whether new OR old set. It is also important to note here that channels 5 & 35 should only be used for emergency transmissions, and you can be fined if using it for general chit chat.

Finally: The 80 channels are permitted for use. If you have an 80 channel set you can transmit on ALL the channels ( except those listed above for telemetry and future expansion) NOW, they are not waiting to be unlocked or allocated.

If you buy a 40 channel set, it will either be second hand or old stock. I would VERY STRONGLY suggest getting an 80 channel set. As for uniden vs. GME vs. Icom vs. any others. If buying for normal UHF use i would personally go GME, Icom then Uniden for order of preference. The reason GME before Icom is purely price based when only using it for normal everyday UHF stuff. I have a Simoco and an Icom in mine, both serve me very well.

Latest posts

Back