First oil change for new D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oznog

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have just bought a new D40 Diesel. Book recommends first oil change at 10k, seems too long. What do you recommend?

Depends how you drive it. Personally I think diesels should go for longer than 10K but even Nissan claim 5k is only really necessary under certain conditions.

In a diesel it shouldn't come down to the engine so much - it's the oil.

Diesels - because of the enormous pressure inside the combustion chamber - generate a lot of blow-by. This contaminates the engine oil turning it black and breaking it down.

If you drive in harsh conditions - lots of heavy towing, sand driving, high-revving stuff - then you'll find your oil is shite at 5,000km and needs replacing. It should be changed at 10,000km regardless of how it's driven.

The only way they'll extend the time-between-oil-changes is if they develop an oil that doesn't contaminate as easily, and/or remove the blow-by issue with the engines.

I Do mine every 5000, but mine does a lot of short trips which falls into the extreme use category.

In saying that , i did a 5k service initially and would do so in the future to remove the running in contaminents that occur. Sure, we're not running in HQ Kingswoods but the principal is the same.

I am a mechanic by trade, so see things a little differently and am keen on preventative maintenence.

Regards
Greg

I ended up having my first oil change at the 1000k service.

Maybe a waste of money but I figured there might be some shite floating around from running in. For the sake of $100 it gave me some peace of mind. I must say that I have no intention of future changes being less than those recommended in the service book.

Our Pajero had it's first oil change as per the handbook at 15,000 & it's still going fine at 180,000ks.

The Fiat Ducato has 30,000k intervals between oil changes, the 3lt Discovery 4 is 26,000ks.

Who knows!

The mate's 06 Playdo had it's first service done at 120,000 ks (we only presume the dealer did it before they on sold it) and last we saw that it was still going. I wouldn't recommend going that far but the 15K we used to push all the trucks out to is easily achievable for most diesels especially those out of warranty.

Latest posts

Back