Pics of hard lid hinges

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lippa

Reaction score
So I just bought a hard lid for my truck and would like to see some pics of how the hinges attach just to be sure I've got it right before drilling into my tub!
Thanks in advance!

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

Any questions, sing out.

Good timing on this. I've just bought a S/H hard lid without struts and wanted to see how it all fitted as well.

I have the sort of tub liner that wraps over the top of the tub. Not sure how I'm going to mount the sports bar surrounds with the tub liner in place.

How do you remove/install the sports bar? where is the access from - any pics?
Cheers
KB

Took these last week when I removed mine.

The main hinge, visible in the first & second pics, has a 3rd pop-rivet into the top (from memory).

Third pic shows the mounting locations for the lock bracket (left) and hinge bracket (right).

Fouth pic shows mounting holes for the sports bar. I advise you to figure out a way to protect the bodywork under plastic covers here, the paintwork was pretty hammered on mine. Rubbed the paintwork down to metal in one place on both sides.

Attachments

• DSCN2420_620x465.jpg
    DSCN2420_620x465.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN2423_620x465.jpg
    DSCN2423_620x465.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN2425_620x465.jpg
    DSCN2425_620x465.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN2427_620x465.jpg
    DSCN2427_620x465.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 306
I've only removed mine, but if installing I would sit the lid on top and locate the sports bar bolt holes (2 each side) as well as the main hinge holes (2 horizontal & 1 in top). Remove the hinges from lid (to do po-rivet through the top) and drill holes for these and the sports bar.

Mount the sports bar (1 bolt per leg from under tray lip) and lid after reattaching the hinges.

Then you can figure out where to position the lock bracket and strut bracket (2 bolts each/side).

I'm halfway through fitting my lid and your pictures and comments from both Dave and Cleasc have been invaluable.

My hassle was that my tub liner rolls over the top edges so that has caused some dramas lining up the sportsbar holes and I also had to modify the side covers to account for the additional thickness of the liner. I also had to drill some holes with a holesaw to gain access to tighten up the rollbar bolts when re-installing.

I haven't finished yet as the parts I ordered to replace the bits missing didn't arrive in time for the weekend.

I bought new struts; brackets, locks and lock brackets on-line from a place in Melbourne.

On my lid, the strut mounting points on the lid are right at the back next to the lock holes. I'm assuming the tub mounts will be near the rear sportsbar mounts as in Dave's photo? Also, does the strut cylinder mount to the lid or tub (ie which end does the black cylinder clip to and the chrome "arm" clip to?)

All up, the lid cost $150 on ebay and the additional parts $147, so for $300 odd I figure I'm in good shape.
Cheers
KB

Some progress pics

Attachments

• Hardlid1.jpg
    Hardlid1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 186
  • Hardlid2.jpg
    Hardlid2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Hardlid3.jpg
    Hardlid3.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Do you mean which end of the strut goes to the tray ?

Doesn't matter if thats what you mean.

Do you mean which end of the strut goes to the tray ?

Doesn't matter if thats what you mean.

yes, that's exactly what I meant. Does it matter?
I was thinking maybe cylinder on the tub and arm to the lid, so there is less stress and leakage potential. Sounds like that's what I'll do.

Thanks Dave.

I have the piston going to the tray.

The method of my madness is that gas rises, so having the cylinder at the top is more likely to last longer.

I've got mine the other way round, but what you say makes sense, Dave. It's a five minute job to swap around, so no biggie.

One thing though, if you take the lid off at any stage, make sure you store it flat, as I have warped mine slightly, which makes it hard to turn the locks sometimes.

Yeah, mine already seems to be a bit warped. You can see the small gap at the front near the sportsbar, just enough to be annoying!

Good advise!

Nice ute mate,what is the brand of your lid, cant seem to fibd anywhere on the net a hard lid that accomodates factory sports bars for a d22 thats older then the 09 for some reason

Nice ute mate,what is the brand of your lid, cant seem to fibd anywhere on the net a hard lid that accomodates factory sports bars for a d22 thats older then the 09 for some reason

If you mean mine (Thanks!), there are no identifying brands or marks on it. I bought it S/H off eBay so no joy there either. Luckily, the eBay listing had a photo of the wreckers stock label which had the VIN visible so I was able to confirm it was the same as mine before I bought it.

There are plenty of hardlids that crop up on eBay if you search. I normally just go Navara D22 for the search and see what items crop up (normally only half a dozen pages or less to go through) of all items available. Hardlids normally go for around 300 - 700ish S/H depending on colour, condition and model. I got mine for $150 but then spent about the same on new locks, struts and brackets.

Just be careful that there is at least two different tub lengths depending on the model you have. Mine is a Jap built one. The first couple of letters of my VIN are JN...

There are also Thai and (Spanish?) built ones. Apparently whether it has a flat or curved tailgate (with the ribs like mine) can help identify if it is the short or "long" tub - there's only a few centimetres in it actually.

KB

Hi Grahame,
took me a few days to dig out the receipt.
My stuff came from Hi-class Composites in Bayswater. They sell stuff on eBay but I found them on eBay, then bought it from their online store:

Hi-Class Composites - Quality Manufacturing of Fibreglass Products

I just went to their website though to doublecheck the web address, and I can't see the link for spares that I used, so maybe best to call them (03 9738 2822). I only bought mine on the 11/08 so I can't imagine they no longer sell stuff that quick.

The costs were as follows:

ute struts - $50pr
strut bracket - $9.09 pr
Locks - $45.46 pr
Lock brackets - $27pr

KB

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone knows where to get the hinge pins and the bracket they go in to for a hard cover for 09 D40. And where did you get the struts from.

Latest posts

Back