Nissan D22 Oil Leak under turbo and gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane91.sp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time posting.

Was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose my oil leak

I have an oil leak before the tubro (just added a catch can to see if this helps)

And an oil leak near the gearbox..(hoping its not the rear main seal)

I have also recently just changed the glow plug seals and head gasket...but the oil just keeps coming from diffrenrt areas

Heres some videos

Any help would be appreciated thank you

The catch can may resolve the oil leak but if the oil's coming from the boost hose then it's a sign that you have a boost leak that also needs to be fixed.

This boost leak may cause oil to be blown towards the rear of the motor too - although a leaky main seal could cause oil to appear under the engine/gearbox connection too.

i would say they are related in other words the oil leak around gearbox is coming from above. Check and dry using brake cleaner or similar the oil feed going to the turbo and away from turbo back to block (bottom of turbo). Use a good light and inspect after each run. Alternatively your catch can is spewing some oil and its tracing its way down. That's my 2 cents

Thanks fellas,

Gave her a good clean over the weekend...

Catch can has helped but there is still oil (a drop or 2) coming from the air-side of the turbo and also under the gearbox.

Do you guys think that a few drops of oil would make it to he bottom of the gearbox that fast or would u think they would be two separate issues?

Thinking of getting a 2 inch lift in the next few weeks so will probably get the mechanic to have a look over it...but as usual i'm always paranoid and need to figure it out myself first hahaha

It's possible that it's just the one problem. There is a ton of air moving through there.

Have a look over the clamps and hoses between the turbocharger and the intake manifold. A leak at that point will also cause your car to perform more poorly.

Thanks for the assist Tony.

A bit of an update. Was speaking to the Mechanic today and he asked me to open the oil cap while its running to see if there is any smoke coming out and of course when I opened it up there was. (he is suspecting piston issues)

So i'm going past to get it all checked tomorrow, hoping its just the seals or hoses and not needing to get the pistons done

I looked at that first video again , that is exactly where the return oil line is bolted, that returns oil that was fed to the turbo back to the crankcase.
I would just firm those two bolts up (obviously don't over tighten them), then dry with a rag and check again. However could be the incoming oil feed on top of the turbo and is leaking tracing its way underneath the turbo, pretty sure this a single banjo type bolt, so check this is firm also. Alternatively shine a light up under there while the engine is running to witness the leak. I am familiar with this area because i upgraded/replaced my turbo not that long ago.

carefull how i say this as your mechanic is probably very good,,, however if things are slow, a big job like an engine overhaul could be in his favour.
When i take the filler cap off my ZD30 it nearly blows my hat off, 350K on the clock and running well.
I agree with others ,, check oil feed to turbo. or return.

Was speaking to the Mechanic today and he asked me to open the oil cap while its running to see if there is any smoke coming out and of course when I opened it up there was. (he is suspecting piston issues)

Be aware that diesels produce a lot of blow-by even when young - it's a product of high compression and powerful combustion. Find a mate with a new-ish diesel car and remove his cap and see what happens - I'll bet it's not vastly different. @dagwill is right on the money.

Thanks guys

Will give it a try and let you know

Heres how the smoke looks and the presure currently

Attachments

• 20230905_192915.mp4
    40.7 MB
So would i just tighten this up?

Does seem to be very oily on one side compared to the ither

Attachments

• 20230905_201204.jpg
    20230905_201204.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230905_201158.jpg
    20230905_201158.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 0
yeh thats the oil feed to your turbo bearing (banjo bolt) , check its firm/tight , then on opposite side underneath is the same except i think they're 2 x 8mm bolts. You might have to remove the heat shield and airbox to give yourself some room. I mean really where else is the oil going to come from, this is the exhaust manifold side of the engine. Attached photo will give you idea what you looking for underneath the turbo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_213711.jpg
    IMG_20230905_213711.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Be aware that diesels produce a lot of blow-by even when young - it's a product of high compression and powerful combustion. Find a mate with a new-ish diesel car and remove his cap and see what happens - I'll bet it's not vastly different. @dagwill is right on the money.
Very wise old Tony I'll be reading all your threads 👍

Hi guys,

Have done some comparisons on other diesel cars and mine definitely has more blow by than a 2020 navara and 2009 hilux and also greater pressure.

But being a dope i just remember i snapped a bolt in the rocket cover while changing the gasket 4 weeks ago. ( Ordered the bolt but takes 6 weeks to come from japan).

Hoping that this is the issue.

So doesnt look like the rear main. Had a good look from underneath and seems like the majority of oil is coming from this location.

Does anyone have any idea where all this oil could be coming from?

Multiple places on drivers side of engine for an oil leak. Between head and front cover is an ‘o’ ring for the oil that pressurises the chain tensioner. Oil will run down and become visible between block and injector pump. Injector pump bolts where if bolts onto front cover. Try tighten bolts. Vacuum pump is bolted on facing forward to front cover and is sealed by a big ‘ o’ ring. Easy removal to replace ‘o’ ring. Degrease and go for short run or idle for a while will give u a better idea of where oil is coming from.

It's not unusual to find some oil around the turbo on these old things (your first vid). Check the oil return pipe bolts are nipped up and the paper gasket is ok (don't over tighten though - easy to strip a thread), hose clamps are tight and so on.

I rerouted my pcv with larger pipe through a catch can to the inlet side of the air box because I noticed the oil mist was pitting the impeller blades on the turbo. Had to change the air filter more often but not a drop of oil around the area after that, turbo and pipes were always clean and dry as a whistle inside and out.

These engines are famous for blowby. No kinks or restrictions in the short hose from rocker cover to air inlet? It really doesn't take much restriction on these and you'll have oil weeping out of seals everywhere. Seems common with home made catch cans that block, don't get emptied much.

From what I have seen that second vid could be used as the "type specimen" for a blown rear main seal lol. Worth checking every other option first though. A pr-ck of a job to replace that (and costly to get someone else to do it).

Latest posts

Back