matson isolators?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane75

Reaction score
has anyone heard of or used a matson battery isolatar,i spotted them on ebay and they seem like pretty good value 4 money. i am after something reliable and well sealed any info or opinions appreciated.

From what I saw after a quick search on ebay they are only selling 140Amp versions which is an overkill for any Nav with a factory alternator on it but they no doubt work just like any other isolator and are probably just rebranded from someone else anyway. I'm sure you can get other "known" brands for similar prices which will be as good, but names aren't everything.

I run a Matson with over-ride switch in my dual batt setup. Mounts beautifully in the top left corner of the engine bay. They are very well sealed, but I'm onto my second unit at the moment as the first one turned out to be faulty after a few months (was replaced no questions asked). Go with Australian Direct 4wd and Outdoor on eBay. Awesome customer service, they even reimbursed me for the postage I incurred returning the original unit!

I've had one in my d40 for about 6 months now with no problem.Fully waterproof.
Next time though,and depending on what accessories i would run i would go with a unit that you could have the overide switch mounted in the dash.
I think redark make a unit that allows you to do this.

thanks for your thoughts guys,judging from what i've read on here and other peoples comments on the internet the redarc units seem like the ones to go for.

Yeah Shane, I have the redarc and I wired in the overide to the dash, also a red LED that tells you when the batteries are linked.

Been going strong for about 3 years now, I got mine a bit cheaper on ebay as well.

Roothy from 4WD Action and Caravan & Motorhome magazine was singing the praises of the Matson isolator years ago. This may be more an issue of advertising rather than endorsement?

I recently installed a Redarc isolator however have read recently of a couple crapping themselves after about 5 years. Apparently the internal contacts fuse. I believe for a temporary repair, the units can be opened by lifting the metal tabs on the base of the unit & the contacts cleaned. Not sure if this is still an issue?

Last edited:
I chucked on in my bro in-laws 'lux a few months ago and he has had no complaints. I've got on ready to go in when I have a chance too...

Roothy from 4WD Action and Caravan & Motorhome magazine was singing the praises of the Matson isolator years ago.

Oh well that settles it, they only work in Toyotas.

Brand names mean nothing if a product works

Latest posts

Back