is nav and pathy engine the same

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black beauty

Reaction score
Is the 2.5 in the navara just a detuned vertion of the 2.5 in the pathy and can nissan tune the navara to give the same out put than the pathy.

Is it even de-tuned? I'm not sure they do anything to it mechanically, but others may know more.

The D22 2.5 engine is similar to the D40, the D40 and the Pathfinder share identical engines (yes, there is now a Pathfinder 550).

There are differences in the turbochargers, the ECUs and the heads between the D22 and D40. I doubt the D40 ECU will bolt into a D22, since the other modules (BCM, TCM) would be different and therefore not compatible.

Doesn't mean you can't change it over. New head, new turbo, chip the thing ... maybe you should just chip it.

The Navara D40 ST comes with a 2.5L which has 128kw or power. The ST-X and all Pathfinders come with a 2.5L 140kw engine. Although the vast majority of the engine is the same, there are some minor differences which is what I think you're asking.

The 140kw engine has a different cylinder head featuring parellel ports, a different turbo with electric control and an increase in the direct injection fuel pressure. It is these modifications that allow the same core engine to go from 128kw to 140kw.

The D22 2.5 engine is similar to the D40, the D40 and the Pathfinder share identical engines (yes, there is now a Pathfinder 550).

There are differences in the turbochargers, the ECUs and the heads between the D22 and D40. I doubt the D40 ECU will bolt into a D22, since the other modules (BCM, TCM) would be different and therefore not compatible.

Doesn't mean you can't change it over. New head, new turbo, chip the thing ... maybe you should just chip it.
Hi Tony will a 2006 pathfinder motor bolt straight in to a Nissan navara 2012 both Spain built

The engines came as Euro 3, 4, 5 (5 is I guess the 140kW).
Some major changes were about 2010 too. I would say it wouldn't as e.g. injectors are different. Older ECU could accept them or not. As a minimum you would probably need the older engine with ECU but the wiring can be different too.
E3 to E3. E4 to E4. E5 to E5. Any mixes won't be easy because of wiring and ECU.

Hello guys, I’m currently looking forward to swap my YD25 with the R51 V6 on my D40 (spain). Any of you guys done that before. Do you know if the engine supports are the same or new ones should be welded on?? They say everything is identical between the D40 and the Pathy up to the B pillars. Thanks

Hello guys, I’m currently looking forward to swap my YD25 with the R51 V6 on my D40 (spain). Any of you guys done that before. Do you know if the engine supports are the same or new ones should be welded on?? They say everything is identical between the D40 and the Pathy up to the B pillars. Thanks

I considered a move to the V9X diesel V6 years ago but was led to believe that it's a slightly longer engine and won't fit in between the gearbox bell housing and the radiator. That may or may not be accurate.

I think the V9X engine has quite different mounts as well.

I considered a move to the V9X diesel V6 years ago but was led to believe that it's a slightly longer engine and won't fit in between the gearbox bell housing and the radiator. That may or may not be accurate.

I think the V9X engine has quite different mounts as well.
What if you swap the box too?🤔🤔

What if you swap the box too?🤔🤔

That would almost be a requirement, because the ECU would have to come across and the V9X ECU talks to a RE7 gearbox not the RE5 that I currently have. You'd probably find the gearbox cross member was different, and might need to consider changes to the drive shafts as well.

Moot point for me, I won't ever be putting a V6 in mine. If mine develops a problem that requires a significant cash injection it will get a nice easy ride to a wrecking yard.

Latest posts

Back