toughdog rear spring plz

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam2108

Reaction score
Hi Guys

just wondering if anyone has tough dog springs under there d22 and could you put up some pics of them on car if possible.

reason is I fitted dobinson springs and since doing it I have a vibration in rear , I replaced rear uni joint still vibrating , then checked other uni joints and centre bearing and are all like new , My handbrake cables were being pushed up from the springs aswell and so I removed them today and took it for a drive and no vibration . so the problem is tailshaft alignment .my measurements were 720 standard from bottom edge of rim to lower gaurd and after springs went in it was at 790 and that is 70 mm almost 3 inch
so if anyone can tell me if the tough dog are better I would love to know as I am taking these back tomorrow and they sell tough dog springs aswell so I may ask them to change to the tough dog instead . thanks for your time everyone

one last thing if possible can anyone give me there measurments from bottom of standard str alloy rim to bottom edge of gaurd front and rear thanks again

Last edited:
How old is your ute/suspension, Is that height you talk about factory specs or the difference from old springs to new springs. I know i shat when i first measured the old hilux after changing springs, It went up 100 mm on a 50 lift. After the shock it dawned on me that my old girl had well and truly sagged with age. As stupid as it sounds the hand brake cable hasn,t been re routed wrong when changing springs

Last edited:
no the spring hasnt been put in wrong as the cables go through guides and go across the tops of springs,
im guessing the springs are not that bad as its done no off road work and it is sitting at 720 mm now the springs are out
130000km and 2004 model , surley the cables should not be touching as there is so many leafs in the springs now , i think all up 7 , the difference is from old that as in there to the new ones now , but even with the height of the rear springs you need to wind up the front so far to get anywhere near the rear that you end up with not much down travel and im guessing the wheel alignment would be out to buggery , pos camber , thats no good for tyres and dont think a wheel alignment would fix completly,

Last edited:
It was a couple of years ago i did mine in the hilux. But from memory it took a few weeks to settle down 20 mm or so. I haven,t heard anyone else on here complain about the handbrake cable touching anything, In 2 weeks i can tell about mine because i will have the new suspension in the nav by then. You couldn,t just lower/raise the handbrake cable off the tailshaft to give clearance. Guessing you put it in yourself or you would take it back to installer for their opinion

yeah i did fit the springs myself ,they were fitted correctly as I am a mechanic and work for NRMA as a patrolman , Im on phone to them today to get answers about this spring because of the issue

Wasn,t trying to say you fitted them wrong. Just thought you might be able to tweak the h/brake cable left/right up/down

thanks for your help Dave . I have solved the problem with this issue now , after calling dobinsons in qld today . dont let anyone sell medium to heavy duty springs unless you have a good load in always , I ended up taking leef number 4 out of the spring pack that takes them back to normal raised spring , re fitted them and no cables touching , vibration is gone and front has 10mm height variation from rear with heaps of up and down travel on front suspension . the height was 70mm with extra leef in rear and went back to 40mm lift once leef removed so all is good now , thanks for your help again

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back