D40 Coolant

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Anyone know if there is an equivalent after market coolant for the D40?

Book says Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze L250 coolant or equivalent premixed type but a web search reveals very little information about any equivalent. Anyone got one?

Failing that anyone got any information on the Nissan stuff, i.e. price, bottle size etc?

All the oil companies list a suitable one it, under oil online. My radiator guy say's. DOOOON'T mix any two types, brands. Remove every drop of the old stuff. They can react with each other n turn to gel. Ooooo!
I had to do the pulsar recently and he described a very specific way to remove it all, hard work!!! May be easer to top up with genuine product. I would n will.

I can find suitable oils that match Nissan spec but I can't find any suitable coolant makers who say anything other than "see Nissan"

I don't really care about buying it from Nissan, I get trade price and chances are if it's cheap enough the bill wont even make it to me but I'd like to know how they sell it, if it's in anything bigger than 1 liter them I don't really want it because I'm just topping the crap up not replacing it.

I don't use genuine oil purely because there is no such thing and as long as it meets their requirements then it's all good. But I've spent a bit of time hunting around on the net this arvo and there seems to be no direct equivalent in coolant and very few companies are even suggesting they know what makes the Nissan stuff different.

Someone's got to be making the stuff for Nissan I'm just surprised it appears to be such a secret. If Nissan are the only ones that have it I'd imagine the price represents that.

Just changed the coolant in my D22 as of an hour ago. Like Krafty has already said the D22 manual also specifies the L250 stuff, i couldn't find it anywhere so bought some coolant concentrate and distilled water from repco.
Whats got me stumped is how the manual states the cooling capacity is approx 12 litres and i only manages to get 7 and a bit litres back in.

So D22's have the same "genuine" crap, that's a relief I was fearing Dave would come along soon and make a comment about how D40's suffer due to recalls and "special coolant"

Whats got me stumped is how the manual states the cooling capacity is approx 12 litres and i only manages to get 7 and a bit litres back in.[/QUOTE]

Sure you got all the ol stuff out ?

Your right Krafty, Nissan dealers use whatever oil brand they like outa 205's etc, eg; Ballina - Valvoline, Tweed - Castrol, of course they are suitable spec's. Tweed Dealer will sell me oil in there genuine bottle, suits DPF. They do have coolant, again in there bottle, did ask ages ago n don't recall $.

"Whats got me stumped is how the manual states the cooling capacity is approx 12 litres and i only manages to get 7 and a bit litres back in".

Sure you got all the ol stuff out ?

I parked it down hill on a decent slope and pulled the plug at the bottom of the radiator and let it drain for half an hour. I guess not all the fluid came out of the motor, perhaps next time i should persist with removing the trouble bolt holding the bash-plate on and pull off the bottom radiator hose.... sigh.

MMM, my radiator guy said re; pulsar take heater hose's off n put garden hose up it n flush out with heater gate open of course. In one of em gets up to thermo n other outa heater. Easy with the 94 pulsar,
Have a manual here I'll have a look at procedure in it.

Do have it. getn grief from the cook ATM mate. If you want it I'll do it 2moro.

Last edited:
I'm going to go and ask Nissan about a price on their coolant on Thursday, I'm really sick of the local bloke in the spare parts department here so I'm going to try another Nissan dealer 100ks away while I'm out doing an install. If I can get enough for a top up for under $20 I'll buy it, if they want more than $20 I'll take the trade price route and get my mate to buy it.

Haven't done anything yet, am going back to the dealer I brought the ute off on Thursday cause I've had enough of the local dick. No idea what the price is but hopefully they can sell it in a 1 litre bottle.

Hopefully I can avoid that much until it's time to redo the whole lot. I can't remember when the book says to replace the coolant but I only need to get it past the "min" mark at the moment.

I've only just clocked 30K in the Nav but we've done nearly 115K in the Prado which was bought 3 months before.

I'll be doing another 8K maybe 9K in the next month or two so the 40K wont be far off

Shit your clocking the km's up in the Playdo.

That the one you dont need to get out to open the gates ?

Yeah that's the one, there is three of us drive it and one of us drives it to work every day so it's not surprising the k's are getting up on it. It will nearly be ready to be traded before mine gets to 40K :big_smile:

The Playdo and extras had a price tag of $97k before change over etc I'm guessing with a dent on each corner, cowshit spread everywhere and the distinct smell off animals throughout the trade in price might be lucky to be half when it happens....but hey atleast this ones been serviced more than once in 140,000ks unlike the previous one!

Latest posts

Back