Upgrading YD25 Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple more pics of scoop plate mod that comes with kit and also the turbo manifold ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414206166.962996.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414206178.247293.jpg

Good pics Comet, any damage from rubbish going into the scoop and bending the cooler fins can be fixed with a filed down paddle pop stick dipped in a little olive oil.

Yeh the difference in the rubber boot fitted under bonnet compared to the aluminium plate is fairly big. The sticky backed foam I'm not sure how it will handle the summer and engine heat but may replace it by lining the inner edge of plate with some sort of rubber seal if and when it starts failing. The turbo whistle is really noticeable and kicks in at about 2000rpm. Of coarse I'll be interested in any fuel economy change that I'll post up later as I just filled up today. I looked for an EGT gauge locally but had no luck so will order one off fleabay and fit that aswell later as well as a catch can to keep things cleaner. Been reading about that today and am still unsure where to mount it as I have duel batteries and not a lot of room anywhere

As for the catch can mine is on the left in the photo on the fire wall. Not a very good pic, but it's all I have on my iPad

image-416455945.jpg

Cheers Navmania, that 90 deg fitting there is that the only xtra piece you needed for the Provent can ? Do the stock hoses fit straight on ?

Stock hose to the top fitting that is a irrigation fitting from bunnings. I filed he treads of and plastic glued it in. The bottom hose is a heater hose off something. I found it in the heater hose section in supercheap. But if I was to do it again and I think I will still modify mine I would put the same elbow that's in the top in the bottom also and run a straight piece of hose as the fittings reduce the outlet sizes on the catch can. The outlets are quite big compared to the original size hose.

Sweet, so if I do Retic/irrigation fittings top and bottom I can use stock to top and get some more hose for bottom and mount to firewall ? Too easy..cheers

The problem with any top mount is that they do little at low speeds when in 4wd and if anything become a heat exchanger putting heat /temp into the incoming charge air.

Do you plan on doing any temp tests to prove its effectiveness ?

It's an each to their own type of thing because some people don't want the complications of a water air setup, but for the money some of the aftermarket air/air setup are, I'd got water to air. I can piece together a top notch water air setup for around $700 and it works more efficiently at slower speeds. But like I said, some people don't want the possibility of another system failing them in remote ares etc. The hole being opened up in the bonnet is a good mod to start with though. The standard setup could have been designed better.

Last edited:
Yeh i just wanted to replace my leaking one and by replacing it with an after market quality made IC its a win IMO. I do use my car for towing and touring so not that interested in getting to complicated a set up but if do have dramas with heat while working hard at low speeds may look at fan but really i like the saying " Keep it Simple Stupid"
My current set up has provided more torque down low with a lot less right foot so Im fairly happy.

No i wont be doing any tests, HPD have already done all their own very Expensive R&D which is good enough for me. Look its not that cheap the HPD but when i seen the quality and extra components to help it efficientcy it was a no brainer.
I will get a dyno to tweak the setup but thats about it.

Well just an update, the turbo noise wasn't the turbo it was a leak. I left in the original shim/gasket and must of reached around 6 psi in boost and started to vibrate/whistle. Shim removed and applied some Gasket glue and gained 2 psi so backed off the turbo T.
So in the end I have not a lot of extra kw's but a noticeable increase in torque that nearly start at idle it seems. Feels so smooth all the way thru and will keep pulling to redline.
I guess with that dyno will tell me all so will post up my results when I get it done

Last edited:
Just in regards to adding a fan to the top mount i/c. Would that be worth doing on a stock one or would it really only be worth doing on an aftermarket setup? And where would the best place be for the fan, blowing through or sucking through the i/c?

I have always wanted to do something to get some air through it when going at slow speed off road.

From memory people with body lift mount it under cooler as the lift it any way to reach bonnet scoop. If mounted on top it would obscure inlet air I would presume but I could be wrong

I went underneath with a bodylift cooler. I used the ARE cooler and spal fan and it works a treat. Certainly feeds the air through it. Scoop sounds like a vacuum

Latest posts

Back