lightbars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
Hi guys is it legal to have a lightbar on the roof in nsw has anyone had any probs with police

As long as it's not hooked up to the high beams and is on its own switch is ok. If it's on the high beam circuit its illegal.
Cheers

It also must not have any reflection off your bonnet. Interesting ly someone posted this up today on Facebook. Something about it not reflecting off bonnet causing irritation to driver. I would have thought it would of had to be triggered by high beam as it's a forward facing light. Still needs to be switched like any other forward facing light. Maybe contact your local authorities

I don't think they are suppose to be used on road but are ok for off road use only. That's why it has to be isolated from the high beam circuit and on its own switch. That's my impression of the law anyway.

Ahahahah this is why the superiors need to clarify the law in regards to light bars. They are still behind the Times and have no idea what is right or wrong. Even the cops are confused and they are the ones issuing the fines for the wrong thing

We'll need to be very specific to be clear on this particular issue.

The statement "light bars" includes light bars mounted on the bullbar, and on the roof. There's a big difference between the two where the law is concerned because they're looked at by different sections of the law.

Single light bars mounted forward of the body of the vehicle (beside, or slightly forward of the headlights) are still technically illegal but because they're investigating/formulating policy in respect to light bars, NSW police have stopped booking people for them. The reason is that ADR states that all lights that are not indicators or eye-level brake lights are to be mounted in pairs. Headlights must be mounted in pairs. The only exception to this is on a motorcycle. You cannot count the LEDs in your light bar and note to the officer that 240 LED globes is an even number, so each 10W LED is paired. The entire bar is considered as a single light source. The law is being reviewed because light bars mounted on the front do put out a lot of useful light and don't break any other sections of the law.

The problem with roof lights is they often clash with another law that they are NOT looking at reviewing. Lights mounted on the roof or on the sports bar are behind the headlights and above the driver. This is a separate no-no. I have roof lights mounted in pairs - they work with that part of the law, but break two other sections, so I am not legally supposed to use them on the road.

G'day
having them is ok.
How and when and where they are turned on is the issue
I have a pair of high mount spotlights. They can only be turned on if my bumper mounted spotlights are already on, these can come on and off with high beam.
If I dip to Low then back to High, I need to press the on switch for the high mount lights each time

Latest posts

Back