Oh Crap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timing chains have no service interval on the zd30 they should last the life of the engine. The mechanic should inspect it and if it looks fine then you should leave it. The YD25 is the engine which has timing chain failures not the zd30, vary rarely do you hear about the chain failing in zd30s

Cheers mate. The 1st mechanic i spoke to (who was recommended to me) made a big deal about the d22 zd30 being a grenade, and the worst engine nissan ever made, worse than the patrol zd30 and how id be mad not to do the timing chain which will cost $1000 in parts alone.
Kinda gets alarm bells ringing a bit, although i wouldnt mind changing out the chain while everything's out unless its really not viable to do it, but very glad for all you guy's input that the chain is most likely not necessary and that it looks like replacement/ repair of the housing, change out the main pully/crank sensor plate and general inspection, so if they come up with a quote that covers all that and without any fantastical and amazing extras will be a bit more confidence inspiring that they are on the level.

is the zd-30 timing chain different to the yd-25 timing chain ??

they are not even close, yd25 is full chain driven (duplex chains until 2005 then downgraded for the d40 or the "common rail" yd25 you got in AU after 2008) and the zd30 is mostly gear driven, there is a just a simple row (i think) chain from the fuel pump sprocket to the camshaft sprocket (which gear drives the 2 camshafts) we didnt get the zd30 on navaras but i have never heard of chain problem on zd30 patrols, just the usual weak nissan top tensioner problem causing rattle in start up (not as big of a problem as the yd25, tensioner seems to get more oil in the zd)

Last edited:
I change mine just some thousands kms ago here is the parts numbers if you need them.
13591VC100 COVER ASSY CHAIN CASE - 0112508504 BOLT COVER 2 UNITS
130702W200 TENSIONER
130282W200 TIMING CHAIN ( I USE AN AFTERMARKET DID JAPAN CHAIN)
130852W200 CHAIN GUIDE TENSION SIDE
130912W200 CHAIN GUIDE SLACK SIDE
Must take off the radiator, hoses etc and it takes about 3 hours labor, Taking the cover out and theres easy to change the timing kit.

If you need more parts numeber I got them all.

Thanks mate that's awesome info. Was it a tough job?

Meanwhiles, she's all clean and shiney, waiting for a tow truck to the mechanic's.

Hired a current model Isuzu Dmax for a week on saturday. 4x4 diesel auto. Nice rig.

Ok picked my car up this arvo 3 and a half grand later plus 2 weeks rental for another ute.

Turned out that hole was in the pick up for the oil pump.

Moral of the story - if you drop a bolt and don't know where it went, ****ing well find the **** even if you have to pull half the car apart to do so.

On a lighter note, bloody glad to have to ol' girl back. I think i love it - a little too much.

Got them to chuck rda discs and pads in ($150 ebay!!) and wheel bearings and other shit. Got some new canvas seat covers (egay again. half the price of blackduck or whatever they're called) the original ones are falling apart.

Goes great on no chip, even coming from a new dmax auto. Just wound the chip up to max again- really wakes it up.
Got a couple more auber gauges and a rumpig 20psi ecu on the shelf. **** it gonna take the day off tomorrow and have a little play.

I cleaned out my inlet manifold the other day after 265k using the thread on this forum as a guide(awesome guide by the way). I dropped a bolt from a bracket at the front end of the manifold and lost it between the injector pump and block. Tried for around an hour and a half before I gave up and dug out a new one from the shed. After 2 mins of idling when I had completed the job a heard a "ting" as it dropped to the floor. How lucky I feel now that was all I heard. That is shithouse luck mate

Latest posts

Back