Fraser island questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boriskov

Reaction score
Has anyone headed over there in their nav?
I was checking out their fees etc for the ferry and there’s 2 applicable:

Standard 4wd - $175
Large 4wd - $200

Which one does the nav fall under? I’ve got a D22

Final question is, what is the cost of the vehicle permit/camping on average per day? Without logging into the website and making an account etc its not easily accessible info.

Cheers

I believe anything under 5.5m is classed normal size but it'll be different prices depending if you ferried into inskip (south) or into Wanggoolba Creek ( west side).

The big difference between the to ferries is weather you wanted to pre book a time for the barge or just rock up and get in line.

In regards to your driving permit I think you can buy a month pass but that would depend how long you plan to stay

How long are you planning to stay? Reason in asking is it'll limit where you want to be staying as there's a decent amount of driving between some destinations.

Don't be scared at all with the nav, just remember to pack a decent recovery kit( to help recover all those stuck rental suzukis:rofl2:)
A shovel/maxtrax) and don't be scared to let your tyre pressures down - on the barge I start at 20psi and go groom there.

Also remember that not everyone has driven on sand before and its nothing like the road ( no dedicated lanes) so indicate to oncoming open sand drivers if in doubt but really just treat it the same and pass oncoming on the drivers side

That's all I got for the minute - keep with the questions if need be..

I love the island and am really hoping to take the family over again just after the Christmas break

Last edited:
Just typed - Fraser island camping - into dr Google

Vehicle access permit$48.25 (less than 1 month)
Camping Fees$6.15 per person per night. Children under 5 free

a lot of decent info there, thanks a lot.

I'm not worried about the nav getting stuck, mine is a weapon :) But I'd rather not pay the tax they apply to whatever a "large 4wd" is.

I'll be there for about 6 days, but you've covered everything i think.
Cheers

This legislation regarding your car size must of come in recently. Last time I was there you just paid extra for the trailer only. I guess “large” would mean a F truck or equivalent. Enjoy your time over there!.

Its certainly not cheap anymore seeing you have to pay barge fees then car fees then camping fees. the price to travell over a short crossing in the barge is a rip off too. hate to think how much moreton or stradie costs to get over there now.

.. hate to think how much moreton or stradie costs to get over there now.

Stradbroke is still reasonable in price but there isn't alot to do there ( really)
Moreton is thru the roof.. was finally gonna bite the bullet and take the family over there but with the nav and camper it was a little under $600 return for the barge alone:pissedoff:

Yeah, I just got back. Total cost was about 1k from sydney to the tip and back again.
$200 was the ferry, camping and vehicle pass, and I made sure I stocked up on food and fuel to avoid more rape.

I’m hoping to head there again just before Easter next year. I fill up at Rainbow Beach and take 40 ltrs extra fuel. This gets me around the island for a week without needing fuel at $3ltr. The main issue over there is unskilled drivers and drunken backpackers. Pick your areas and time to see the main attractions early in the day while they are sobering up and it’s always peaceful.

Latest posts

Back