Garage Mis-hap's or modding mis-hap's.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm..

I rebuilt a 2 stroke motorbike engine many years ago, with clearly no idea what I was doing, started losing power on the way to work the next day, one of the gudgeon pin circlips hadn't been put in properly and popped off, scoring the bore, and melting itself and part of one of the rings. I leanrt a bit from that little exercise!

Hhaha Matt, good one. I've built a few 2 strokes but luckily haven't done that.

I did something a bit more stupid though with my road bike a couple of years ago. Changing the fork springs over to new ones, had the bikes weight supported under the engine properly, ( or so I thought).

Undo the first fork cap, carefully, carefully, then BOING BANG!. Heavy fork cap shot out, missed my head by I don't know how much because I didn't see it fly past, and it put a nice dent in the shed roof above my head. ALL of the weight should have been off the front forks.

Next fork I had all of my weight over that socket wrench and it wasn't going to fly off like the first, :eek:

Ouch, I hate thinking about it.

asked my cousin to start the car while i was in front of bonnet, while it was in gear. It drove out of the way and the car went into back wall. luckly he hadn't give it any throttle.

Hmm..

I rebuilt a 2 stroke motorbike engine many years ago, with clearly no idea what I was doing, started losing power on the way to work the next day, one of the gudgeon pin circlips hadn't been put in properly and popped off, scoring the bore, and melting itself and part of one of the rings. I leanrt a bit from that little exercise!

i dont feel so bad now i did the same thing to my old cr 80 made it down the dandenong creek and then a very long push home i blame youth hey i was 15

i dont feel so bad now i did the same thing to my old cr 80 made it down the dandenong creek and then a very long push home i blame youth hey i was 15

Haha I'm glad it's not just me.

I also did about 15 laps around queensland raceway on my CBR600 then my mate pointed out I hadn't done up my front axle nuts :eek: That could have been ugly lol.

I was late for qualifying for my first race out on my new bike, just been fully stripped and repainted, on brand new cold un-scrubbed in slicks and thought I would just take it really easy and scrub them in for a few laps. Had a very big slide, absolutely crapped my pants and went straight back to the pits. How it didnt go down I will never know. Kind of a 'pits' story rather than a garage story but sort of the same.

I have many stupid stories from motorbikes Haha.

I dragged the bin down from the road and put it in front of the garage door.

Went and shut a few windows as it was looking like it was going to rain.

Anyway started up the ute and went to reverse, bin is still in one piece but has battle scars.

The back of the ute is fine.

Probably a heap more that I cant think of.

Dave.

In an absolute hurry to get to a shop for something late one evening, I jumped into my XJS, hit the garage remote, flicked it into reverse and gave the accelerator a squeeze.

Didn't take long to realise there was a Pulsar behind me needing bumper work. It was outside, the old Jag's reverse lights weren't very bright and the XJS doesn't have great vision out the rear window. That, and the Pulsar is a narrower, so it didn't appear in my side mirrors either.

No damage on the Jag, the Brits had considered these things and the bumpers moved inwards on dampers to absorb low-speed impacts. Nice touch! Pulsar needed a new bumper. Needless to say, the owner hasn't parked a car in my driveway since!

In an absolute hurry to get to a shop for something late one evening, I jumped into my XJS, hit the garage remote, flicked it into reverse and gave the accelerator a squeeze. Didn't take long to realise there was a Pulsar behind me needing bumper work.

I have done very similar thing many years ago. I always, always parked my car in the shed at home. For reasons that I still cannot fathom one night I didn't. Instead I backed up the drive and parked it outside the shed. Next morning got into the car windows all fogged up as it was winter and I was on auto pilot so I selected reverse to 'back out of the shed' and instead backed into the corner of the shed damaging it and my pride and joy - "Gary"; my 1976 fully imported 2 door GD Chrysler Galant.

I still tear up thinking about it coz in our youth we always seem to apply more thottle than required and let the clutch out quicker than needed didnt we!

Back in the late 70's I caught the rallying bug and managed to score free batteries and was given one of the brand new (then) low maintenance batteries. Worked great for a while then......

Spent a few hours 1 night on the rally car lining up the driving lights so the battery was pretty flat the following morning, clutch started the car out the driveway, headed off to work gone one the main road glanced down at the ammeter notice the battery was getting a nice 60A+ charge. Shortly after big bang car stops lots of smoke and a big hole in the fibreglass bonnet. Look through the hole and can see bits of battery, fire brigade turns up and hoses down the car, finds the top of the battery and mentions to me that these "new fangled" batteries did not like being charged at high current and would blow up if they got too much gas inside.

Anyway my new battery sponsor gave me an old style battery, fixed the damage to the engine bay and bought me a new bonnet.....

I haven't had any really stupid automotive mishaps in my garage thankfully but as my garage is also my pc workshop there's been quite a few mishaps in the workshop.

A live PC Chassis I didn't expect and the mate standing next to me swears my arse came off the seat and my hair stood on end. Not watching what I was doing with the multimeter and probing around an old stereo with the 240V still connected, took half the house out of power. Came through the roof of the garage when my foot slipped off a beam, spread plaster all over the roof of the car and was forced to put a vent in the roof to hide the hole. Bounced the tip of a screw driver through the window when I cracked the shits and threw it down on the bench. And probably many others I don't remember.

I'm probably lucky I haven't had any automotive mishaps or I could well be dead by now.

About the only notable one I have had was helping my father out on an XG Falcon panel van that he changed a head gasket on and once back together it simply refused to run, except sometimes.

Apparently the ignition coils used on those cars have a habit of failing overnight when they go, you drive in, turn it off and it won't start the next morning.

The bloody thing would run just occasionally and I would start again, but it would die after ten seconds of so, so picture me fiddling and tweaking trying to track down why the spark kept failing. After an hour or so I clipped a spark plug into a metal bracket on the rocker cover with a high tension lead straight to the coil. A few minutes after that it suddenly developed spark again and promtly exploded (Picture an EFI car injection fuel for ages without running so the sump was full of it)

It blew the front and rear main seals out of the block, blew the dipstick across the shed, blew out the PCV which swiveled on the end of it's hose and put a ding in the inner gaurd and blew the sump up like a football. Turns out the rocker cover is insulated and it arced internally between it and the head and lit up all the furl vapour. My father of course turned up just in time to see me staggering around a shed full of white smoke looking like a fish out of water!

I never lived that one down until he died!

I decided to fit my new bull bar myself & save the $150 quoted by TJM.
I had no template to cut the bumper, so I checked out a couple of cars in the local Nissan dealer's yard, a D40 like mine with a ARB steel bar & a D22 with a factory fitted steel bar.
BIG mistake, as I found out the ARB fits over the existing bumper & the TJM under. I measured at least 3 times, then cut the bumper with about 25mm higher on the mud guards, allowing for the bull bar returns.
I then grabbed a couple of mates (both had been trying out copious amounts of my home brew) to help me bolt the bull bar in place.
now fitted I had a huge gap above the bar at each mud guard.
I have covered the gaps with adapted pieces of the old plastic bumper until I can figure out a permanent fix or buy a new or second hand bumper, check out the attachment.
That $150 seems a good deal now.
Phil

Attachments

• Cover for stuff-up.jpg
    Cover for stuff-up.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 247
A mate of mine got a compressed air rifle, one of the pretty serious ones with a little tank about the size of a longneck under the barrel, anyway, you pump it up to about 2000psi and get I don't know how many shots out of it.
So Carl puts 2&2 together and pumps it past 2000psi expecting more shots or more power, gets it pumped as hard as he can, then unscrews the pump, instead of unscrewing the pump, the valve unscrews from the cylinder, BANG as 2000+psi unleashes putting the valve/pump hose straight into his nuts!
Off to hospital not looking too good, his nuts were fine miraculously but had split his scrotum sack in between them, requiring it to be re-packed and stitched up.
Don't think he has the airgun anymore

On the Navara...

Replaced the clutch slave cylinder with a new genuine unit. Before I started I made sure I had enough of the right fluid to refill the lines and reservoir.

Replaced the cylinder, started pumping fluid into the reservoir- ... why is it pink? The brake fluid reservoir next to it is blue...

ATF fluid belongs in the power steering reservoir.
Brake fluid belongs in the clutch reservoir.

Idiot. Blew a whole bottle of brake fluid flushing that aggressive shit out.

Lol ^ never done that one, came close to filling the engine up and then realised I hadn't put the sump plug back in.

Dave.

I nearly took my leg off with the hub off a leyland mini, bloody tapered shaft on the CV, geez it went bang! Should've worn the brown undies that day.

Latest posts

Back