D23 stuck in limp mode / no power - help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Reaction score
Posting as I have read everything and still not found a solution, although there is a similar thread, but without resolution (uh oh)

The story - our D23 made a long trip across Europe and may or may not have run out of Ad blue and may or may not have been topped up with water (just guessing here, as the boys won't fess up)

It came back absolutely gutless - since then it has been to 2 garages and 2 nissan dealers and £6k later is still in this state

Starts perfectly, runs fine with a weirdly clean exhaust- put your foot down and no turbo at all, no noise nothing, just gutless acceleration. Ok when up to speed.

Fitted the following:
1) New boost solenoid and Nox sensor
2) New DPF (ouch)
3) New throttle body
4) EGR

The last nissan garage said the turbos needed rebuilding, but advised me not to waste my money stick it in an auction and buy a hilux..... :-(

There are no error codes and Nissan definitely do not know what they are doing

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I give up on it ?

Adblue is injected into the exhaust pre-CAT (because adblue is a chemical reductant that reacts with the rare earth metals in the catalytic converter). It's unlikely to be the cause of your woes because even if it were in the exhaust manifold and water was being injected and landing on the turbocharger's turbine it shouldn't kill it (at least, not very quickly).

Has anyone had a look at how much boost is being produced? It sounds to me like either the turbo isn't producing boost (failed turbo or turbo control failure) or the boost is being lost (damaged intercooler, damaged charge air pipe etc).

it sounds like the garages are guessing and part swapping. find a better garage who can do diagnostics.

unfortunately (or fortunately ) downunder they don't have adblue in navaras. i would check if they have an adblue sensor that checks if its actually adblue.
also i would get a decent scan tool and check the gearbox (assuming auto) and bsm for codes. sometimes a gearbox problem will put the engine into limp mode to try and save the ute.

if the exhaust is clean i suspect its limiting fuel. turbo won't spool up if its not pushing in enough fuel. faulty MAF sensor or temp sensor can do that. as well as split intake hoses.

Latest posts

Back