G'Day from Gippsland

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyzST

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to the Nissan game, but have just purchased a 2011 ST with every concievable extra you can think of - 2'' Tough Dog lift, WARN XP 9500, ARB Delux Bar, Snorkel, UHF, ARB Roof Rack, Color Coded Canopy, Water tank with electric pump, Outback Draws, Dual Batteries, 140L Tank all with only 22,000 on the clock.
Anyway i do alot of Deer Hunting in the Alpine regions and like i said this is my first Nissan, Previously have had Hilux's and just sold a 2004 Triton. All were good cars but the Nissan has been the standout.
I was sceptical of buying it as i have heard a few bad things about the YD25 but all these things seem to have happened to people that have either chipped their ECU or have towed very heavy loads (caravans, horse floats etc.)
Can you guys shed some light on what to look out for with this car.
I have only just blocked the EGR and it seems to take off a bit easier as you guys know this model is a bastard to take off they just seem so heavy.
I plan to upgrade the exhaust from turbo back with a 2 1/2' straight through system.
Any info back would be great

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure others will come along with some advice. As for me, well I have chipped & tow heavy loads so not the best one to ask. :smile:

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the forum.

Clutches can be an issue because of the dual mass flywheel, more commonly if towing but could happen to anyone. Everyone is scared of the boogey man (that's Japanese for "timing chain") but in reality it's not that common a problem.

Suction control valves get dirty (that may have something to do with fuel source). Aftermarket fuel filters cause air leaks which lead to starting/running problems so treat those as if they've got a good dose of the clap.

Otherwise, it's only the radio that sucks - every time I tune mine to ABC News Radio I hear some dickheads in Canberra squabbling, so I'm off to buy a new radio.

Thanks guys appreciate the feed back.

The reason for my questions is that i have been offered a Nissan extended warranty for a good price as the new car warranty will run out in July.
I dont know whether to spend the money on that or just suck it and see.

Since the clutch is a wear-and-tear item you'd probably have a fight getting it replaced under warranty anyway. Timing chain is something else - but as said, not as common a problem as it would seem. You just have to remember that people jump onto forums to ask about their problems, not to find out how to fix something that's working properly!

Grab a mechanics stethoscope and have a listen to the timing chain housing on the front of the motor. If you hear the chain slapping, the tensioner is not tight and the chain is at risk of stretching or breaking. If not, then it could be as right as rain - and more than likely is.

Personally, we went for the extended warranty and I do think it paid for itself. I've had a few minor issues repaired that would have cost a few hundred each to fix but was covered by the warranty (steering linkage, rear uni, transfer case seal and a couple of other little items).

Thanks again Old.Tony, like i said much appreciated.
Its nice to have honest opinions from people who actually own these cars.
Im so sick of hearing bad news stories from other people that dont and haven't owned any of the cars they are talking about.
Mechanic friends see one or two a year in for repair and they seem to think that every Navara is a heap of junk.

Also how many people that have these problems have not bothered to stick to the service schedule. These type of engines require alot of love and if your not willing to give it they will break..

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new car (sounds awesome)

Yeah like you said mate, 'These type of engines require a lot of love and if your not willing to give it they will break'

I do all my own servicing and treat her with respect by giving her the best service, oils etc and it costs a few extra $$$ but so what because in return, she gives me good results and keeps me happy

Thanks TigerST, have just got a hold of some BF Goodrich MT's for a song ($281 ea) 265/75/16, have also just finished machining 2" Body lift blocks as per another page on this site utilizing drawings supplied on said page. Have used 316 S/S for the blocks, this should eliminate any scrubbing issues i encounter putting bigger tyres on........hopefully.

Latest posts

Back