D40 Engine light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano.langford

Lamingtonbro
Reaction score
Help! My check engine light has just come on randomly.. no issues with performance that I’m aware of, good fuel economy. Started the car before and next thing you know is it’s on.

Had something previously where Nissan ended up changing out my whole fuel filter a couple months ago, tested the pressure on the bulb, all is in good condition. Has done 5000k since it’s last issue

1) booked in with Nissan next week (as early as they could get me in)

2) check engine light is orange.. can I still drive the car?! Or am I stuck for 9 days

3) any ideas or issues you can think of? Topped the tank up yesterday with diesel.. have driven 109km before the light has come on.. don’t think would be fuel related?

Thanks!

It depends on the code. When the Check Engine Light comes on, a code is usually stored in the ECU so that anyone with diagnostic equipment (see below) can get the code and look it up to find out what the car thinks is wrong. This is really quite useful, because even if the code is not 100% accurate, people who work on the cars become accustomed to what the code really means and can fix it.

Getting that code doesn't require a lottery win or the sacrifice of your first-born. In fact, you can get it for free if you know the "pedal dance" (not my favourite way to do it) and want to count the flashes, but for just a few $ you can buy a bluetooth OBD2 ELM327 adapter and read the codes with your phone (using an app like Torque). Of course, if you want to go all-out and grab a Snap-on Tools diagnostic device you're welcome to do that, but make sure your child is not promised to anyone else first!

Can you still drive the car? Yes and no (depends on the code!). The worst that will happen is the car will engage what's called "limp mode", which restricts engine RPM and power and keeps your speed below about 80km/h. This mode is designed to be gentle on the engine/drivetrain when certain errors are detected but still allow you to get the vehicle to a place for servicing. If yours triggers limp mode, you can drive it - but be aware that Hiluxes and the slightly faster 1938 VW Beetle (with only one working spark plug) will not disappear in your mirror as quickly.

Latest posts

Back