D22 YD25 Turbo Whine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbuist

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope everyone has a safe Easter. For me? I get to work on my Nav :(

While cheering after leaving work early yesterday I got in the Nav drove about a minute down the road and had this horrible high pitched whistle/whine come from the engine, so I pulled her over and let it idle for a minute. I'm thinking my turbo has failed...

What I can say:
No noise at idle
Noise creeps in around 2000RPM and gets progressivly louder with more RPM.
Checked what I could on the side of the road, ie nothing stuck in snorkel/air box
Checked what hoses I could get too without being burnt and everything seemed ok.

The noise is not a grinding noise just an air leak as such.

The car? 2008 Navara D22 with just over 150K on the clock, oil changes every 5K since 100K, can't tell you much about what happened in the first 100K.

Got it towed home and I'm about to bring the tools out.

Can anyone provide some tips or things I can check while the turbo is still connected. Also can anyone offer some guidance on removing the turbo?

Thanks everyone.

i havn,t had this problem [ yet ] but a couple of things you could check , is the turbo bolted down tight on the manifold ? no leaks there ? check the SCV which is the suction control valve is working when the rpms increase / decrease. i think this valve would move in and out when rpms alter up / down. there could be info on this forum regarding this issue so do a search and see what pops up.. sorry i can,t help further.

Thanks jonney for the reply.

Would there be any visable signs that i could associate with a leak? discolouration, things like that?

i have heard sometimes the turbo bolts will become lose and this causes the turbo to leak at the gasket . most of the time you can spot the leakage by a sooty black colour at the turbo / manifold join, also you could try when engine is cold spraying some soapy water on the join with engine running at certain revs to see if any bubbles appear. i would check the turbo mount bolts for tightness first .

Ive got most of it pulled apart but it doesn't look good at all. The front propeller is broken up and bent. Ill get some photos once i've completely got it off. Question is... where are those broken bits likely to have ended up?

broken pieces of the turbo rotor end up in the inlet manifold then go into the cylinder head combustion chamber. not good. hopefully these pieces are in the exhaust system as they could have dropped into the dump pipe, maybe. or have fallan out the side onto the ground. hopefully.

If it's the compressor wheel that has broken, then any pieces large enough to do damage should have been caught by the intercooler.

Check this out... No movement in the shaft.

Attachments

• 20170414_144539.jpg
    20170414_144539.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Yea its got me stuffed how anything has managed to get into it. Im going to give the intercooler a good clean tomorrow to see if i can find some bits from the turbo.

Cracks in manifold aswell.
view

What are my best options with this. Should i replace the manifold or try and repair it? Would the intercooler like to have caught the bits from the turbo? Should i replace the intercooler?

the intercooler is like a radiator so i doubt there would be any broken fan pieces that could get from the inlet to the outlet but there could be pieces on the intake side, you should take the intercooler out and give it a good cleaning out plus check the intercooler hoses aswell incase a piece of metal is inside a hose. take the inlet manifold off and either replace it with a secound hand one or get it welded . have a good close look inside the intake ports for any signs of metal fragments as well.

Well that turbo is rooted, I wonder if it picked something up. I would not bother welding the manifold if it's cracked just get another from a Wrecker plenty of YD's around that have been wrecked. The I/C should be fine wash it out with petrol then rinse with a bit of diesel. Any shit from the compressor should be gone and not a problem.

Manifold is off and its cracked all the way from top to bottom. There is also a black mark on the underside of the heat shield and it's making me start to wonder if that was the main source of the whistle and the damage to my compressor blades is old and possibly happened before I bought the car.

I'm going to give the intercooler a clean but I have organised a replacement from Jamie at Forefront Industries along with a new turbo.

If I do find a second hand manifold from the wreckers will I have to machine it? I haven't been able to get in touch with any wreckers yet but I have seen some new genuine ones on eBay for $390.

I have uploaded a bunch of photos to my google drive. Here's the link if anyone is interested https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0aSWTph0LZ4QWh1N0VDWVhUbFU

Attachments

• 20170415_145249.jpg
    20170415_145249.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170416_143235.jpg
    20170416_143235.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 73
certainly had a leak there. you shouldn,t have to machine the face of the manifold as the gasket should take out any irregularaties that could be there but i would think there a pretty solid piece of cast iron / alloy , get one from the wreckers.

I have a manifold for sale if you are interested $250 plus postage. Located in Perth

I have phoned all the wreckers in SE QLD and none of them have a manifold. Most people tell me 90% come in cracked. Going to have to get a new one...

Latest posts

Back