Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Old 16-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
landcruiser or patrol (4.2).
It's difficult to find one without a lot of kms though, and then they are still pricey. Unlike the 3 litre patrols which they are nearly giving away lol (comparatively).
Sponsored Links

Old 16-10-2019, 08:07 PM

You are going to have issues with any 4X4 you buy, old or new. It is just a matter of luck if you get a good one.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 16-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Good news. The mechanic that services our Mazda 6 is taking on the job. He's going to take the head off today and do a more in depth analysis before sending anything away to the engine rebuilder. One interesting matter came up yesterday when we were talking to the mechanic. My wife recalls a ticking noise after the 'piston went'. The mechanic suggesteded it could be a valve slapping the top of the piston? I watched a video on Youtube on this and it seems that could be at fault. Won't know until he head is off. I'll keep you posted.

Old 17-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Now the bad news. The mechanic took the engine out today and the head off and the head is stuffed. Piston one is melted. Cylinder one has a big groove in it. Three other pistons shows signs of melting. The bill for repairs jumped from $4400, to $6000, to $7000 to $11000. This included new head, valves, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, clutch, machining, and so on. For a 2004 vehicle, we will read it the last rights and look for another 4x4 with low kms that can do the work we need on the farm. Today was quite a blow. My wife and I were new to 4x4s and diesels and this has been one very expensive lesson in cars, mechanics, and engine rebuilders.

Old 17-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks to all for your advice.

Old 18-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Diesel motors are not cheap.
The newer models even more expensive to fix, any major problems on something around 10 years old will pretty much be a throw away job.
Think $1000+ per injector vs i think it was $5-600 for all 4 when i had mine replaced.

Old 18-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByabarraNavara View Post
Now the bad news. The mechanic took the engine out today and the head off and the head is stuffed. Piston one is melted. Cylinder one has a big groove in it. Three other pistons shows signs of melting. The bill for repairs jumped from $4400, to $6000, to $7000 to $11000. This included new head, valves, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, clutch, machining, and so on. For a 2004 vehicle, we will read it the last rights and look for another 4x4 with low kms that can do the work we need on the farm. Today was quite a blow. My wife and I were new to 4x4s and diesels and this has been one very expensive lesson in cars, mechanics, and engine rebuilders.
sorry to hear.
any chance you can get some pics and post them up. would be interesting to see what caused the failure.
thats a rather odd failure. typical failure is the rear two pistons as they run the hottest.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByabarraNavara View Post
Sorry to hear that. Sounds as though it was well and truly kaput. Hope you have better luck with your next one, whatever you decide to get.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben85 View Post
Diesel motors are not cheap.
The newer models even more expensive to fix, any major problems on something around 10 years old will pretty much be a throw away job.
Think $1000+ per injector vs i think it was $5-600 for all 4 when i had mine replaced.
Got to make you wonder whether the later diesels are worth it, might be better off with petrol. The tech makes them go better, but they don't seem as reliable as they used to.

Had fuel injected cars back in the day that clocked up 400-600k kms without any problems or maintenance to the fuel system at all, apart from an occasional filter change. Still chugging along fine when I decided not to register them. They mightn't have gone as fast, they did it for a lot longer though.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Got to make you wonder whether the later diesels are worth it, might be better off with petrol. The tech makes them go better, but they don't seem as reliable as they used to.

Had fuel injected cars back in the day that clocked up 400-600k kms without any problems or maintenance to the fuel system at all, apart from an occasional filter change. Still chugging along fine when I decided not to register them. They mightn't have gone as fast, they did it for a lot longer though.
the problem is not so much the engines but rather the quality of fuel.
modern fuel has bare minimum lube in it compared to the old fuel which had tons and hence rather forgiving.
add that to the injection system being substantially more expensive to repair and if it fails it can blow holes through pistons very very quickly.

a LOT of the problems are mitigated IF you have a decent fuel supply.

Tags
zd30 engine rebuild