D22 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need advice and figured I'd show off my car at the same time.

I purchased the car and 6 months later found a crack in the head, so the seller obviously saw me coming. Anyways, that has been fixed and about 3 months ago the turbo decided to pop. That brings to me to where I am now.

I have installed the forefront industries intercooler and billet turbo (see the attatched photos). She is now running substantially better and using less fuel, getting roughly 9.7lt/100km.

Now, for my question, on start up in the morning I get a small puff of grey smoke. As the valve seals were done when the head was I'm thinking I might just drop the oil and replace it (and a new filter), and just wondering what brand/sort of oil people suggest.

Thanks guys,

Attachments

• ute1.jpg
    ute1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 14,006
  • ute2.jpg
    ute2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 148
  • ute3.jpg
    ute3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 144
  • ute4.jpg
    ute4.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 147
G'day mate,
Generally blue smoke means you're cooking oil somehow, and can be caused by a few things such as using the wrong grade of oil, oil dilution by diesel fuel (i had this), or you could have fouled up piston rings.
How many k's are on the clock?

As for oil, Penrite HPR 15 seems to be pretty popular across the board.
Easter weekend I changed the oil in both my diffs, transfer case, gear box and motor and went with Nulon this time around.

Possibly a silly question, but are you giving the glow plugs the time they need to heat up or do you just crank the key around until it starts? I find if i forget to let the plugs do their thing, that the motor cranks over a few more times before starting and then puffs out a bit of grey smoke (or a lot on a proper cold morning).

Sounds like you've addressed the important issues on the beast, but put aside a few more dollars for a catch can and egr block plate. Its amazing how much oil that can catches in my system, and good piece of mind knowing all that gunk isn't going back through the engine.

My 03 just ticked over 450,000 - they're a pretty solid unit if you look after them!

And supercheap have the penrite hpr15 on special at the moment if they're not sold out, $54 for 10l

G'day mate,
Generally blue smoke means you're cooking oil somehow, and can be caused by a few things such as using the wrong grade of oil, oil dilution by diesel fuel (i had this), or you could have fouled up piston rings.
How many k's are on the clock?

As for oil, Penrite HPR 15 seems to be pretty popular across the board.
Easter weekend I changed the oil in both my diffs, transfer case, gear box and motor and went with Nulon this time around.

Off the top of my head its only 140-150k on the clock.

Did a quick google of Penrite HPR 15, this is 15w - 60 right?

plankosaurus said:
Possibly a silly question, but are you giving the glow plugs the time they need to heat up or do you just crank the key around until it starts? I find if i forget to let the plugs do their thing, that the motor cranks over a few more times before starting and then puffs out a bit of grey smoke (or a lot on a proper cold morning).

Sounds like you've addressed the important issues on the beast, but put aside a few more dollars for a catch can and egr block plate. Its amazing how much oil that can catches in my system, and good piece of mind knowing all that gunk isn't going back through the engine.

My 03 just ticked over 450,000 - they're a pretty solid unit if you look after them!

I do plan to do both of those, exhaust, and snorkle in the "near" future.

But, to answer you question, yeah I definitely leave the plugs long enough to warm up. Was actually contemplating replacing them too.

The Nissan service/repair manual says oil capacity is 6.7ltr for the ZD30 engine and 4.3ltr for YD25 and both of those figures are with filter change.

Without filter change is 6.2ltr (ZD30) and 4.0ltr (YD25).
You would not want to be throwing in nearly 2.5ltrs more than you need if you have the YD motor!

Last edited:
Mister2;

What model engine do you have? judging by the k's i'd guess its a YD25 motor......

The Nissan service/repair manual says oil capacity is 6.7ltr for the ZD30 engine and 4.3ltr for YD25 and both of those figures are with filter change.

Without filter change is 6.2ltr (ZD30) and 4.0ltr (YD25). You do not want to be throwing in nearly 2.5ltrs more than you need mate!

Its a ZD30, but yeah I wont just pour in the whole 10lt haha. Thanks for the info though.

yeah well I didn't really bother looking at the pictures attached to the first post truth be known, and just because there isn't an intercooler sitting on top of the donk doesn't really mean shit. Plenty of guys (some on here) have larger, front mount intercoolers sitting behind the bullbar mate.

Lol, you said it. You didnt look at the pics. If you did you would of seen its a zd30

Had it looked over by mechanic and he has said its nothing to worry about. I think i've just lost faith in it. Now that i've done all the hard work i'm going to sell it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back