LSD Differential Sound broken or noisy when turning click here

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watchdogg

Reaction score
If your LSD at the back sounds like its broken, or sounds rough, whines, is noisy, or wobbles or anything along those lines when you are turning at slow speed especially in reverse, try dropping the oil and changing it first. But also add whats called a diff additive (Repco) or (Bursons) and make sure you read the instructions, but it should be like a toothpaste tube. squirt that stuff into the diff then fill up the oil (until it drips out the fill hole) and on a reasonable level surface then screw the nut back in and there you have it. new oil and new additive. this should fix your problem as it did to mine and mine literally sounded broken....or so it would seem. be careful of the diff places as they know how to rip people off and they know this about the navaras... they love when you don't know much about diffs, because thats when they rort ya.

(note: don't leave the additive in there too long, change the diff oil again in a few weeks. Well not that its bad, its just i wouldn't want something like that in there for the long term.)

Do this first. if the problem persists and is really bad, then you've broken something, but if it works, lets hear about it.

I will agree with this apart from the addative, mine had a creaking noise not long after i got it. dropped the oil and put fresh stuff in and it went away!!

bryan

just like to add there is diff oil with additive already in it when i changed my diff in my old ss went to 3.91s and put some diff oil in a mate had it sounded horrible went and got nulon high performance diff oil with the additive already in it and it was quiet again caltex also make the same oil and theres no replacing it after not long you can just run it until your next oil change and use it again

what thickness lsd oil did you guys use, and how many litres does the rear diff hold? ive got the same creaking noise, so im goin to do a oil change on the rear diff

cheers bart

Bart i used nulon stuff from super chump, will have a look later what i was for you!! and i had to buy 4 ltrs coz the diff hold 2.8 or something stupid like that!!

Bryan

found it on the nulon site this is what i ran in my vy ss running 12's
comes in a gold bottle

Full Synthetic 80W-140 Heavy Duty Limited Slip Differential Oil- Nulon Australia
NULON FULL SYNTHETIC 80W-140 HEAVY DUTY LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL OIL
Is an extreme pressure API GL-5/GL-6 and API MT-1 limited slip and conventional differential oil, with superior high temperature stability when compared to mineral differential gear oils. It is the preferred substitute for SAE 85W-140. Ideal for use in vehicles operating under heavy duty conditions such as: 4x4, towing, racing or carrying heavy loads.
Service Refill Capacity: 1.7 Litres (see note 1156)

Attachments

• SYN80W140-1-large[1].jpg
    SYN80W140-1-large[1].jpg
    181 KB · Views: 142
  • LSD85W140-1-large[1].jpg
    LSD85W140-1-large[1].jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
bart i posted the oil i used above and the one bryan used
the 80w-140 heavy duty in the gold bottle is what i have always used and it has the friction modifier in it fully synthetic
the 85w-140 bryan used i think doesnt have the additive so upto you which you use the 80w-140 is probably a few more $$$

Last edited:
Bart i used nulon stuff from super chump, will have a look later what i was for you!! and i had to buy 4 ltrs coz the diff hold 2.8 or something stupid like that!!

Bryan

Cheers bryan and kus89 for the info. Yeah as you said bryan supercheap dont stock and cant get in 4L bottles of the heavy duty nulon oil and at $40 for a 1L bottle i thought that was a little expensive to have to buy 2 to do 1 diff oil change.. So i went with the nulon lsd oil 85w140 (silver bottle) and changed the oil over today (no metal shavings in the oil.. Pretty glad about that) and yeah that grinding sorta crunchy sound is long gone so happy about that also :) now to fix up the bullbar indicator and parker bulb wiring get rid of the dodgy scotch locks.

Anyways cheers again guys for your help.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I just want to quiz people in regards to the following.....

I had heard of the LSD noises from others but I noticed mine when I got it had the same noises, so I replaced the rear diff oil with ther following: LUCAS Full Synthetic LSD 75/140 Gear Oil

This slowly improved and the noise wasn't as bad but was still there especially when cold but tended to quieten down once warmed up. I spoke to a fellow D22 owner who's been a Nissan nut for a long time and he suggested emptying out 500mls of oil and replace it with 500mls of Diesel Fuel. He reckons leave it in there for a couple 100ks then flush it out and replace it with some good Synthetic oil.... He reckons this should flush out any crap that may be stuck in the plates.....Has anybody else heard of this suggestion ???
I plan to drain and check the oil for any contaminants then replace the oil one more time.... If this doesn't fix the noise, what are my options and what sort of $$ am I looking at??

rob

Also when you are there check the bolts on the diff plate. When I was crossing the Tanami track last year I lost two of the bolts and the rest were loss.

After replacing the LSD Oil, the noise is still there.....
The Question is: This noise which is mainly only there when cold and when turning and tends to disappear when it all warms up - Can it cause anything more serious or damage to the rear diff? Is it something that I should look at replairing b4 doing any BIG touring trips?

Whats involved in repairs..... or is it more cost effective just to replace the LSD part with a Diff-lock?

I know looking around for a 2nd hand is a bit of a gamble as I assume there is no way of determining if its good / bad w/o pulling it apart.....

What Options do I have here..... Fork out the $$ to get it repaired so I can keep my LSD..... or just get a Diff lock and put up with the open diff for general driving around..... or just put up with the noise until it warms up and just keep driving it ??

ideas..... ???

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I just want to quiz people in regards to the following.....

I had heard of the LSD noises from others but I noticed mine when I got it had the same noises, so I replaced the rear diff oil with ther following: LUCAS Full Synthetic LSD 75/140 Gear Oil

This slowly improved and the noise wasn't as bad but was still there especially when cold but tended to quieten down once warmed up. I spoke to a fellow D22 owner who's been a Nissan nut for a long time and he suggested emptying out 500mls of oil and replace it with 500mls of Diesel Fuel. He reckons leave it in there for a couple 100ks then flush it out and replace it with some good Synthetic oil.... He reckons this should flush out any crap that may be stuck in the plates.....Has anybody else heard of this suggestion ???
I plan to drain and check the oil for any contaminants then replace the oil one more time.... If this doesn't fix the noise, what are my options and what sort of $$ am I looking at??

rob

I dont know anything about D22 diffs but i just paid $1500 to get my XR8 lsd rebuilt and if i was to spend that on the Nav i would be putting in an e locker for sure and yes its a gamble when buying 2nd hand Diffs,

For the moment, all I can afford to do is just keep driving it and putting up with the noise until the diff warms up when it seems to get more quieter...... my main concern is though: "will this cause any damage to the diff that will result in me being stranded & unable to drive it?"

Rob
I have in my shed the lsd center from my diff when i put the locker in. When it was removed there was no noises from the diff. Was keeping it for just in case but yours for cheap (say $50, or whatever) if you want it.

Latest posts

Back