Turbo Conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vh202

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just bought a qd32 Navara and am looking to get it turboed. I can source a TD27 turbo and manifold from a Terrano that is being wrecked for around 500 just wondering whether this is a good price. No idea if the turbo is any good as its in another state.

Anything I should be asking about before hitting the go button?

I presume ill need to match the dump pipe up to my existing exhaust or probably get a new one. Anything else id need? Boost gauges? EGT probe? Where does the EGT probe normally mount? pre or post turbo? If before does that mean that there should be a place in the manifold to put it?

Are the TD27 turbos oil cooled or both water and oil?

Sorry for the questions!

Cheers
Vh

EDIT: Also whats the chances of the td27 fuel pump being compatible with the qd32 given that this will have a compensator and probably be more suitable for the turbo engine?

Last edited:
Also are there any legal issues with a Turbo conversion? Does this need to be certified by an engineer at all?

Check with your RTA, well the equivalent in your state.

They're oil feed only I am pretty sure.

Have a read of Dion's thread, Ill see if I can find the link.

I am pretty sure Dion said a ZD30 dump pipe will work.

Christ that was an epic read, though I get to the end and the Turbo still hasn't been fitted! Still top work on his part. Do you know if dion ended up mounting the Turbo?

Thanks Dave, Been talking to Transport SA and while they weren't 100% convincing it sounds like on the surface that I only need to get it inspected post install.

Looks like I should have waited to do my bigger tires............... as far as im aware I can only go up 15mm in diameter here in SA!

On another note would it be worth getting the terranos fuel pump while im at it? That should have a compensator of some sort and be better than the qd32 one right? Just not sure if it can supply enough fuel to the qd32?

Not sure mate, but it probably would be big enough.

Japan got the QD32ETI which Australia never got, however its a Electronic pump.

Alright well ive bought the turbo etc and the bloke threw in the fuel pump for free so ill see if it fits and try both with and without the compensator to see if it makes a difference. Tune shop should have an idea whether its worth it i guess.
For the moment I play the waiting game until it arrives!

Guess I have to source a zd30 dump pipe now, is there any reason why the existing td27 dump pipe wouldnt work? Is it because its probably a bit too small?

Just a few quick questions from the below photo of the turbo. My understanding is that the top and bottom of the image are the oil feed and return lines respectively. Similarly the water lines are front and back. My reading indicates that to get natural convection occurring once the motor has been turned off the water supply line needs to be lower than the return line which should travel upwards to the reservoir(based upon this http://gcg.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116%3Aturbo-stuff&catid=41%3Aturbo-stuff&Itemid=99.) I say this knowing that bvandermaat didnt do this in this thread http://www.navara.asia/showpost.php?p=132514&postcount=59 and doesnt seem to have any issues (touch wood).

Am I on the right track so far?

IMG_20121126_123816_zpsa9dfc7eb.jpg

Also the inlet port of the turbo is covered in oil/grease, is there any issue using degreaser all over this thing to get it clean?

Last edited:
Mate grab that TD27T manifold. Will make life a lot easier. As for the turbo I have one off a TD42 from pootrol which has been modified for what I wanted. As for the fuel pump on the QD32, it has no problem with the fuel delivery. When I was doing mine Dave suggested fitting a boost compensator to the fuel pump but I never got around to it before I started studying.

If you need any tips check out my build and I am happy to answer any questions. My build thread went from me having no idea about turbos to fitting one myself. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=10074

Alright just saw your post at 9:22pm. I have had no problems with my water cooling. I do have one side just a slight bit lower than the other but since they are using banjo bolts I don't think it affects it. The only downside I have found from where I installed my water intake and return is that it takes bloody ages for the interior heater to get warm.

If you are planning on doing a straight bolt up of that setup you have I would suggest getting the turbo checked before sticking it on, trust me it is a pain in the arse to pull off again. Looks the goods so far though. If you still have the heat shield from the turbo it would be a good idea to stick it back on. If not the fab one up. you will want to keep the exhaust heat away from the intake and hoses.

As for the lines yeah you are right about the oil feed and return, make sure they stay vertical and fit the biggest drain hose you can for the return.

Also, damn does my first setup look flimsy. Here is how she sits now. I still have a bit to do, but then I am always changing things under the hood.
2012-11-26_22-06-45_890.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I got the td27 manifold as well so all good there. Also got the fuel pump from the td27 so should be all good there.
Shielding came with it as well. I've seen in one of the photos in your thread that someone put one in front of the firewall to protect it from the dump pipe. Necessary?

That explains the size of the lower oil pipe then, almost assumed it was a water line given its size!

Anyone aware of a place in adelaide which could look over the Turbo for me? The dude I bought it off sent me a video of it running before he took it off but I suppose something could have happened in transport?

That is good the shielding came as well. The shield in front of my fire wall I had assumed to be stock. It was on there when I bought the car. I would not say it is necessary but it will help to keep your aircon parts on the other side protected. Behind the glove box is where the aircon intake and air filter are.

As for checking it, if you wanted to do it yourself just check that the passages flow by running oil through the oil and water through the water, also *with clean hands* check the veins for dents and any play in the bearing. If there is none you should be right.

Thanks mate will have a go when I get a chance, theres a fair bit of grime and maybe a bit of oil from the bloke that removed it in my intake port on the turbo, is this a problem? I was wondering whether it was worth cleaning it up with a bit of degreaser but wasn't sure if that would damage it at all.

Any chance of a better shot of where you plumbed it into the water lines? I can see clear close ups of the t joints you have but cant figure out where they actually are in the engine bay :) Oil is pretty clear though!

Out of interest how much extra fuel do you notice it using? Im wondering whether I can be bothered changing the fuel pumps over hehe

As for the firewall shield I was referring to the one right next to the turbo in this http://www.navara.asia/showpost.php?p=123145&postcount=33 There is nothing of the sort on mine
IMG_20121127_194848_zps4a793d57.jpg

Last edited:
Also do you know if there is much difference between the two fuel pumps? Could I just add the boost compensator from the one they sent me to my existing pump?
Ive had a look at how these Bosch VE pumps work and they are black magic lol. Feel like im better off just leaving the damn thing...

I would have no idea about the TD27T fuel pump. I would assume they are somewhat similar.
As for mine I noticed an decrease in fuel consumption by about 150km per tank before I had it tuned and an increase of 150km after. I get about 400 to a tank and I know that it is over fueled at the moment.

I would clean all the gunk you can out of the turbo to avoid having it sucked into your intake. I don't see how degreaser would hurt the turbo, just don't get any in the oil or water lines haha.

Hmm now I see the shield you mean, I don't have that but I don't see how it would be necessary. Here are some pictures of my coolant plumbing. Also it looks like your aircon condensation drain is turned up the wrong way.
2012-11-28_14-33-52_33.jpg

2012-11-28_14-34-11_665.jpg

Latest posts

Back