Project FrankenStout

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankenStout

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member introduction - my name is James, from Whyalla, South Australia. Im a mechanical engineer at the OneSteel Steelworks. Im generally a bit of a toyota nut, I own 3 other toyotas including a JZA70 supra, and LN130 Hilux, but a while back picked up something a little different. So ive signed up to introduce what could perhaps be a contender for most unique Navara on your site...

Sometimes, a vehicle pops up that you just have to buy. Noticed this thing sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign, did a bit of a double take and stopped for a look...

Introducing - Project Frankenstout!

201204081123202.jpg

At first appearances, shes a '67 RK100 Toyota Stout. But for some reason the stance isnt quite right... Turns out shes actually a '67 Stout cab, sitting on an '86 Nissan chassis and drivetrain. My main issue is I still havent been able to identify if it is a D21 or 720. It came with two unaffixed build plates in the glove box, one of each, just to add to the confusion.

I am hoping this site will be able to provide me with the info I need - I am completely new to Nissan ownership but have begun researching the D21 platform.

She is powered by the mighty Nissan SD25 diesel coupled to a 5 speed box. As long as you dont want to get anywhere in a hurry, the little thing slugs along alright. She actually makes quite a decent little offroad vehicle, I am new to Navara ownership but I am quite impressed.

201206201704352.jpg

201204121638582.jpg

20120415151210.jpg

All in all, it is quite a nice conversion done by the previous owner. It utilises all the navara running gear, including brake booster, clutch master, power steering, which have been graphted on to the Stout cab.

I am hoping someone on here will be able to help me identify exactly which model of chassis I actually have (D21 or maybe late 720???) so I can start doing some suspension upgrades and the like.

Welcome to the forums.

Can't say it's something that I'd have to buy if I saw it (but I have no taste). Congrats on the purchase it's amazing what some people do to their cars over the years. There is a few D21 experts on here hopefully one of them can help you.

Haha yes, she certainly isnt everyones cup of tea. The Toyota Stout was never really regarded for its handsome looks. But this things heart is all Navara - underneath where it really counts!
However I really like its fugly-truckling unique feel, certainly turns heads and gets many WTF looks from randoms.

I will shortly have some white sunnies to fit up donated from my hilux that should improve the looks a bit. Ancient pizza cutter split rims just doesnt really do it for me.

Main things I want to get sorted first are all mechanical. It rides rough as guts as its currently sitting on the (shock absorber) bump stops - I get the feeling someones installed the incorrect shockies, or maybe left in a bump stop spacer that shouldnt be there. The 'H' value isnt too bad, around 40mm, shocks for some reason are just bottomed out on stroke.

Last edited:
A full blood Toyota Stout lives around the corner from me, it's olive green and very original looking although restored if you know what I mean, I also love it's old school fugly truck like look but was disappointed to find it wasn't 4wd.
I reckon if the split rims were given a full strip and powder coat and fitted with really chunky skinny mud tires (7.50 r16 or even 235 85 r16) it would look shit hot. It would be so awesome if it was running a ZD30 Di turbo etc, old looking but all modern underneath.

The old stouts would have been a great vehicle for their day, they are just built so solid, beautifully thick sheet metal with plenty of curves in the right places to give it strength. But agreed, its a pity they were never made as a 4wd. My 'bitsa' provides best of both worlds - old school appeal, with (relative) modern mechanicals underneath. At least I can get engine, drivetrain and suspension parts. Original stout parts these days are like rocking horse poop and they have little to no aftermarket / re-pro support.

Ive been thinking about getting the split rims cleaned up, maybe painting the split ring a nice silver or something. Would keep a nice oldschool feel, but I'll hopefully have some sunraysias fitted up within the next few weeks though, will post some pics and see what people think!

I also cranked the torsion bars up a bit and did some decent wheeling over the weekend. Rides a bit nicer now although still nothing special - shocks are about at the end of their lifespan I think...

Also, some more pics from the weekend

20130420142851.jpg

20130427145354.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back