Oil catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseT

Reaction score
Just wondering who is running catch cans out there and what types are working well?
Not sure whether to go for a eBay catch can and vent to atmosphere or if I return to intake probably run the Provent filtered system which will be a much more expensive exercise.

Not sure whether to go for a eBay catch can and vent to atmosphere

Just a couple things about this - firstly it illegal to vent to atmosphere - its hardly any extra work to bang a tap onto the system and drain at appropriate time/place.
Depending where its running from, you'll end up with oil spraying over your engine bay gathering dust'n'dirt or worse itll be left on the road waiting to cause an accident:Gillard:
Just my opionion on that.

Ive been using a forefront small catch can. Great value for money in my opinion and will be on your door quick as

oh my, another thing i forgot to add into my build thread on the yearly update! haha.

I have a smaller type forefront industries catch can, its a copy of a provent type catch can found in heavy diesel / tractors.

reason i went for this is that it has a washable filter and a drain. most eBay/china/driftO catch cans are a sealed box and you really have no idea if there is a filter or anything in there.

i have not connected up the oil drain to anything yet, but there is plans for this. for now its blocked off and i clean it out every oil change.

i added in some fittings, then used barb adaptors to get to the 10mm size my vents were. apart from that, being black plastic it looks stock.

uPHiBnm.jpg

Looks the goods Christian. There is HEAPS of room in there..

Just a couple things about this - firstly it illegal to vent to atmosphere - its hardly any extra work to bang a tap onto the system and drain at appropriate time/place.
Depending where its running from, you'll end up with oil spraying over your engine bay gathering dust'n'dirt or worse itll be left on the road waiting to cause an accident:Gillard:
Just my opionion on that.

Ive been using a forefront small catch can. Great value for money in my opinion and will be on your door quick as

A couple of valid points there, plum back seems like the sensible option then.

How effective are the forefront industries catch cans?
Virtually no oil soak returning to the turbo and intake?
How much oil do they collect between services?
The washable filter sounds good.

A couple of valid points there, plum back seems like the sensible option then.

How effective are the forefront industries catch cans?
Virtually no oil soak returning to the turbo and intake?
How much oil do they collect between services?
The washable filter sounds good.

The forefront has a drain/return on the bottom, ive ran a small hose down with a petcock valve on the end to be able to drain
Once again, i think they are great value. Everything seems to be keeping clean.
I pulled the filter out yesterday arvo to clean and let it drain overnight.
The filter definetly had an oily coating over it but there wasnt anything to worry about in the way of having to top up the oil. (Thats on my truck - other have reported different)

I'm glad you seen my advice in a positive way too��

My engine is actually a heavy breather through the vent..so i allways check mine with the oil change (every 5 tho). Mines an older engine, if you have a newer (dare say healthier) engine you wont need to check it as often, but i do it as part of routine now.

The filter will be coated with oil, but clean on the other side.
there is usually a good amount of oil in the bottom of the catch can i need to remove to.

ts easily cleaned out with a rag......but i want to plumb back into engine, or do like "MANNING" and have a hose+valve so drains are much easier.

to date i haven't found any of the oily residue in the intake pipe or inlet tract, so id say it does a great job at stopping the oil getting in.

recommended + +

hi manning, how many kms has it been since you looked inside it before then? and how kms has your truck done? i`d have thought these maybe a good idea after 200,000 kms? thanks for the help bever (((-;

I went out and purchased the Provent today.
Turned out very expensive after including all the hosing, clamps and adapters around $280....
I'de recommend DIY after having a closer look, the Provent alone is about $170 and you could pick up hosing and adapters cheaper elsewhere.
Bunnings have 16mm irrigation fittings which can be used for adapters and also an inline tap for the drain hose.
Salesmen recommended discarding the collected oil as it may contain moisture, seems feasible so I will also run a clear hose from the bottom with a tap on the end, just drain it into a bottle before big trips/during a service.
I'll try get a picture up after install, can't mount it where unknown did as I am running an 80 series airbox.

what is the advantage of having this catch can unit ? sorry its new to me.
It's to stop the blowby gas that normally recirculates back through the intake manifold from the pcv valve, leaving oil deposits inside the intake manifold. This, coupled with the egr system recirculating exhaust gas back through the motor, clogs up the inside of the manifold, eventually restricting flow through it.

A catch can helps the pcv gas cool down and allows the oil to separate from the gas, only letting air back into the intake manifold.

Hope that makes sense

hi manning, how many kms has it been since you looked inside it before then? and how kms has your truck done? i`d have thought these maybe a good idea after 200,000 kms? thanks for the help bever (((-;

HEY bever, i try (key word) and keep on the upkeep of everything. Only takes a couple seconds to connect the hose and flick the tap.i usally let it sit overnight. Having a second filter would make the change alot quicker. As after its been washed it should be completely dry
My nav is coming close to 35000ks. Ive had the egr blocked and the can on from pretty close to new. My thoughts where to save cleaning later put them in early.
Everyone drives their truck differently and for different things also alot of different odometer readings so some report alot more oil making its way thru

thanks, so if you have your EGR blocked off via the block off plate do you still really need this catch can unit ?

Just as the egr blank isnt critical, the catch can certainly compliments it.
Different problem really, ones the exhaust recirculating and the other is oil mist that slips past the pistons. Just another precaution to help the truck live on

Last edited:
anyone got pics of this catch can unit fitted to a later model 13 ./ 14 navara d22 ??
Mine's a 2010 and this is the only spot I could find, with the dual batteries under the bonnet and now a stanadyne pre filter
Pretty much under the air filter, inside the left front quarter panel. This is the small forefront one.
I do have more photos somewhere, I will have to find them

We shall try that again...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439198521723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198521723.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 183
hi bods, is there already bolt holes down there to work from? i was just looking to see where i could fit one too, not as much room with abs unit and second battery, thanks too manning (((-

Yeah mate, if you look real closely at that bracket, you can just see them. You may have to zoom in lol. They are m6 x 1mm from memory. I just used zinc plated m6 bolts. I do need to put a washer on the one closest to the camera in that pic though... as for attaching the can to the bracket, i tapped m10 threads into it and filed the holes on the can out very slightly to fit the bolts through. I will see if I can find the other pics I took when I originally fitted it. That one was only done recently when I fitted the stanadyne...

Latest posts

Back