03 D22 ZD30 Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty D

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

im looking for some advice/tips or even a solution lol..

i own a ZD30 D22 Navara and it is a great bus, only until recently...

Id like to start first by explaining it step by step whats been happening...

firstly i have an issue of the engine light coming in intermittantly and causing the vahicle to go into limp mode, again this happens on an intermittant basis, now when it comes on its either at idle or sitting at a constant REV when on the open road, if the revs are fluxuating then it doesnt seem to happen, so when it does come on all i do it switch the car off for 5 or so seconds and then start it up again and it's gone.... for a while or somtimes it doesnt come back on at all...

this was the start of the issue, when the engine light was off i had full power all the time... now the car has seemed to of lost alot of power especially down low, i have a boost gauge hooked up and its still running 16PSI as Standard, i have replaced the manual fuel pump in the engine bay as that was sucking air but still has not made any difference, changed the air filter as i was thinking maybe is was the air flow sensor but still no difference... im considering Volt drop to be another possibility as i know my altinator is on its way out only producing 12.8v running power... i have also heard that it could be the Pump Inhibitor switch on the top of the gear box but i am not really excited about playing with something i dont know enough about...

if anyone has had any other issues similar to this please any help would be muchly appreciated....

many thanks guys

Matty D

first thing is to pull codes.
if no code it may be water sensor. check fuel filter.

possible it could be neutral position switch in the gearbox. easy to test just unplug it.

battery/alternator could also be the issue. these seam to do erratic things when electrical power is dodgy. possibly have failed one way clutch on the alt.

im thinking that myself, that the power drop has caused the Pump inhibitor to retard...

just painful because i have spent the last 3 weekends stripping/cleaning/rewiring alot and hasnt fixed the issue, find somthing wrong that could be causing it, fix it with no reward lol... but i guess it may be all the little things causing 1 problem...

thanks for your advice.

there is no such thing as pump inhibitor. what your referring to is NPS or neutral position switch.

You can downlad the manual here. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=3232 It's a bitch to navigate thru because it covers different models released at different times but the ZD30 starts at "SM1E-1D22FG1". Once you download it you need to unzip it with a program like "winrar" to get the pdf. Not every error code brings on the check engine light.

A couple of easy things to try, once it's warm just let it idle for over 10 minutes to reset the electronic throttle, also if you have a battery charger charge it for a long time like over night or longer if possible to get your battery fully charged, then see what the behaviour is like.

NPS, would that be a cause of power drop though?, i also thought it could be the accelerator because they also run off electrics correct? and if the wires as such we to be damaged would that cause the power loss and engine light?

NPS causes loss of power. ecu thinks gearbox is in neutral so it changes fuel maps and reduces fuel.
fairly common fault and fairly easy to check.

does the NPS cause the car to drop power or does it act like its missing and spluttering?

im getting mixed feed back about the vehicle attitude regarding the NPS...

Matty D said:
i have installed a Fassett pump which has a water catch on it.. whether that works or not im not entirly sure,
most of them are to small. that could easily be making a restriction causing power loss.

Thanks Tweak, its worth a shot, ill just cut the wires and take it for a road test see how i go..

thanks for the info appreciate it!
cutting the wires won't help, you need to pull the fuel hoses off it and join them back together.

btw did you fit a bypass valve parallel to the pump? usually people fit a one way parallel to the pump so if the pump fails fuel will still get pulled through the one way valve.

cutting the wires won't help, you need to pull the fuel hoses off it and join them back together.

btw did you fit a bypass valve parallel to the pump? usually people fit a one way parallel to the pump so if the pump fails fuel will still get pulled through the one way valve.

under the bonnet i fitted a 1way fuel filter just to test if it was the manual pump leaking air but that wasnt the issue.

Latest posts

Back