05 STR 3.0 bit sluggish

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJMNAV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been reading and watching for ages on here, thought I would finally say hello and ask some advice!

I have a 2005 Single Cab Nav with the 3.0 in it - 146k. I have installed a 3", put a Toyota air box (fitted air temp sensor thing back in too), done the EGR and swirl pot mod, catch can and have a Roo chip in it too.. I am a tradie so I have two massive toolboxes that prob weigh in at about 750kg plus a steel tray...

I had the engine tuned up to 122hp on 265/75's on chip setting 5 of 9.. it seems to go really well with the chip but I tested the vehicle with the chip off and its horribly sluggish... it really badly lacks pick up and go! doesnt smoke at all, not strange noises and doesnt burn oil etc...

Just did a fuel filter last oil change which was about 500k ago and much to my disgust I had a significant amount of algae in the filter... every 4th tank (week for me) I add chemtech in to the tank aswell..

What im asking is, i know the 3.0's aren't rocket ships and its just a tradies ute... but I do recall other D22's moving ALOT faster with barely any performance mods on them..

Fuel econ is about 450/500 a tank too..

I really appreciate your help in advance, sorry for the long story

Cheers Dan

This won't help but some info to compare might help in the end, my 03 3.0 is stock except with the egr/swirl mod and will get over 700km per tank on 265/75's, I feel it goes pretty well too.......well good enough any how. Your economy could be a clue to something, I hope others with more diesel knowledge will be of more help.

122 horsepower is pretty respectful for the old girl i would suggest the 750kg and steel tray to play a big part also the larger tyres will slow you down and affect power and economy roo chips do not get much positive feedback from those that have installed them either.

122 horsepower is pretty respectful for the old girl i would suggest the 750kg and steel tray to play a big part also the larger tyres will slow you down and affect power and economy roo chips do not get much positive feedback from those that have installed them either.

What he said, the bigger wheels and that much extra weight will slow it down quite a bit, i had an alloy tray and i changed it back to a tub, the tubs a quite light was just me and the old boy that lifted it on.
The steel tray and 2 big boxes plus im guessing tools, sure your looking about a tonne or more just in that.

i noticed difference in my ute when i put on my steel tray, i thought i made it pretty lite but the ute weighs in at about 2.35t. plus its a tad wider then the cab so it adds a bit more drag.

does anyone know what their ute weighs in at with a tub on? I read some specs on different websites and they say between 1850 to 1900 kerb weight? is this true in the real world?

my 06 was 2.1T at the tip a few weeks ago with half a tank of fuel (me 80kg) and some cardboard plus Styrofoam in the back.

remember everything adds up, big mud tyres weigh significantly more than the stock duelers for example, add a steel bullbar thats like 50kg there ect

well 122hp seems a bit low for those mods, i would have expected around 100-105kw at the wheels. Yes when you put big wheels on it will lack, mine is around 2T or a bit over dry with 33's and around 130kw at the wheels, its slow when the chip is off but it can still hold speed or slightly accelerate with all mods on up the steepest highway hills in 5th so that's all that matters to me.

750kg of tools with larger tyres will make the old girls slow but at the end of the day its not a new wiz bang commonrail tiny capacity 200kw jobies that are out these days.

however your hp seems low

Hey guys thanks for replies, helps alot. I have also tested the NPS too and its working all fine through the gears..

The combo of bigger tyres, tray and weight plus fridge and under body protection and bar and all the other bits and pieces.. I would be very curious to throw it over a weigh bridge.

It just seems really really doey with out the chip.. fuel econ doesnt change much with or with out the chip either. I was just curious to know of any known issues or faults known to the 3.0 on the D22..

Also, Lawry.. are you saying that you have around 130kw atw. I would love to have that sort of power because my dyno gives me about 90kw, haha. I wondering what sort of chip you have aswell and where you are located too

Cheers guys,

Dan

Ive just got a chip it chip on 6/7, 2.5 straight through, 2.5 xr6 front mount, custom intake, EGR/butterfly etc however ive also got water methanol which is a cheat way to add more fuel without heaps of additional heat, so i run around 30/70 mix, twin nozzle at about 6 gallon per hour (forget the metric conversion in ml per minute) anyway thats adds a solid 15% gain in torque/power.
i'll finish the mod with a high flow turbo soon.
running 19psi

all up a bloke on here had exact same mods as me minus intake and water/meth and dynoed around 400 nm and 112kw wheels, so i would be up around 125-130kw and 430-450nm depending on mixture of water/meth.

should also add, my nav isn't fast its just average as the 33's and weight really brings it back down

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm.... thats really interesting.. I will defiantly be looking at IC soon. How much was the meth injection aswell

You located in Se QLD too

yer IC great way to save engine if turbo lets go, and drop IAT (intake air temps)
W/M was 400 posted and fully setup with 20L tank, float sensor ect switches and KIT from the states

Sounds really promising! I will be looking into that tomorrow haha. I have never really thought about WMI, I was more leaning towards LPG injection but WMI seems alot more cost effective. I dont know anything about WMI and will have to research

no worries, I've done my fair share of research so i can help you a lot.
dont hesitate to ask

Hey guys,

Been reading and watching for ages on here, thought I would finally say hello and ask some advice!

I have a 2005 Single Cab Nav with the 3.0 in it - 146k. I have installed a 3", put a Toyota air box (fitted air temp sensor thing back in too), done the EGR and swirl pot mod, catch can and have a Roo chip in it too.. I am a tradie so I have two massive toolboxes that prob weigh in at about 750kg plus a steel tray...

I had the engine tuned up to 122hp on 265/75's on chip setting 5 of 9.. it seems to go really well with the chip but I tested the vehicle with the chip off and its horribly sluggish... it really badly lacks pick up and go! doesnt smoke at all, not strange noises and doesnt burn oil etc...

Just did a fuel filter last oil change which was about 500k ago and much to my disgust I had a significant amount of algae in the filter... every 4th tank (week for me) I add chemtech in to the tank aswell..

What im asking is, i know the 3.0's aren't rocket ships and its just a tradies ute... but I do recall other D22's moving ALOT faster with barely any performance mods on them..

Fuel econ is about 450/500 a tank too..

I really appreciate your help in advance, sorry for the long story

Cheers Dan

first thing i would check is what boost you are running without chip.If boost is within normal range i'd check for a faulty ecu or faulty fuel pump.A faulty ecu can cause fuel and/or timing issues which could be corrected when you fit your chip.I'm no diesel mechanic but this sounds like a reasonable explanation to me:3gears:

Back