06 d22 irregular turbo whistle when cold?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lallosaurus

Reaction score
Ive just purchased an 06 d22 3.0L, when is is cold the turbo seems to be making an irregular high pitch sound. When it warms up the sound goes away and everything seems normal...
Should i be worried about anything or am i just over thinking/listening?

Also i have relized when i turn my glow plug on and off in quick succesion after about 3 times it makes like a quick ticking sound( maybe from the starter motor?)

Just wondering if these are all normal sound or nothing to be worried about... Thanks.

Last edited:
Is it only under acceleration or when idling? Is it at a particular point it starts to whistle?

Yeah mate and the sound is like the turbo over spooling? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376595880.850143.jpg
Check this pipe coming off egr at both ends. Mine did the exact same thing for weeks before this pipe actually let go.

Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check that EGR pipe, if all is good, check the air hoses between the turbo and the intake manifold.

Usual signs: at the EGR pipe you're looking for a small amount of soot that's come out of the leak. At the air hose, you're looking for a small amount of black oil.

Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check that EGR pipe, if all is good, check the air hoses between the turbo and the intake manifold.

Usual signs: at the EGR pipe you're looking for a small amount of soot that's come out of the leak. At the air hose, you're looking for a small amount of black oil.

That would be the next step, just from what he is saying with the revs and more when it is cold it sounded exactly the same as mine. Could well be boost leak but I though the whining would be more constant?

most likely a leak from the egr system

The ticking sound is the glow plug relay (about 40A), it is pretty normal for them to click here and there.

Hey guys, did a bit of running around trying to fix this sound, first went to my local mechanic he couldnt finf anything, he checked for leaks, black soot e.t.c... Could not find anything. He said if i was worried to go to a diesel mechanic, i went to west end diesel they did a diagnostic testsame result they couldnt find anything.. They all can hear the sound and admit its not normal but cant find a fault. And was told not to worry about it.

The bloke at west end did keep asking me what oil i have been using, the mechanic has been putting in a valvoline 10w-30 semi synthetic. Im thinking of putting in a 15w-50 penrit hpr semi synthetic hoping it could stop that sound. Would like to know would oil make a difference?

Also alot of people have been posting that it could be an egr leak.. But there is no black soot or anything form that side of the motor. Would it be worth changing the gaskets anyway? Thanks.

Hey guys, did a bit of running around trying to fix this sound, first went to my local mechanic he couldnt finf anything, he checked for leaks, black soot e.t.c... Could not find anything. He said if i was worried to go to a diesel mechanic, i went to west end diesel they did a diagnostic testsame result they couldnt find anything.. They all can hear the sound and admit its not normal but cant find a fault. And was told not to worry about it.

The bloke at west end did keep asking me what oil i have been using, the mechanic has been putting in a valvoline 10w-30 semi synthetic. Im thinking of putting in a 15w-50 penrit hpr semi synthetic hoping it could stop that sound. Would like to know would oil make a difference?

Also alot of people have been posting that it could be an egr leak.. But there is no black soot or anything form that side of the motor. Would it be worth changing the gaskets anyway? Thanks.

I am using penrite 5w-40, but I doubt that is the cause of the noise you are hearing, have a look at the photo in my last post and follow that pipe to the back of the turbo area, that is the end my welds let go on. Definately worth checking out that pipe, in saying that I had no soot coming from anywhere either as it must of been such a small crack in the weld that it was not visible. Good luck mate.

I am using penrite 5w-40, but I doubt that is the cause of the noise you are hearing, have a look at the photo in my last post and follow that pipe to the back of the turbo area, that is the end my welds let go on. Definately worth checking out that pipe, in saying that I had no soot coming from anywhere either as it must of been such a small crack in the weld that it was not visible. Good luck mate.

Oh ok thanks mate, the sound does sound like its come from the turbo side of the engine, was that the same for you? And would a blocking plate fix it (wont leave it on just to see if noise stops).

Oh ok thanks mate, the sound does sound like its come from the turbo side of the engine, was that the same for you? And would a blocking plate fix it (wont leave it on just to see if noise stops).

Yeah that was the same, I originally thought it was turbo, not sure if a blocking plate will fix it mate, I had mine blocked of at the inlet side but it didn't fix anything. It's hard to get to that pipe but it would be worth taking it off to have a look to rule it out, if it is that pipe it is $120 from nissan and 2 gaskets $10 each

Yeah that was the same, I originally thought it was turbo, not sure if a blocking plate will fix it mate, I had mine blocked of at the inlet side but it didn't fix anything. It's hard to get to that pipe but it would be worth taking it off to have a look to rule it out, if it is that pipe it is $120 from nissan and 2 gaskets $10 each

Yeh, sounds like it was coming from the turbo. Anyway ill get that looked at and see how i go, thanks for that

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Hey man got the pipe changed, put a brand new one in with gaskets, its still making the same noise. Just going to leave it and see if it gets worse, thanks anyway man for ur help.

P.s got a second hand pipe now if u know anyone interested lol.

Hey man got the pipe changed, put a brand new one in with gaskets, its still making the same noise. Just going to leave it and see if it gets worse, thanks anyway man for ur help.

P.s got a second hand pipe now if u know anyone interested lol.

That's no good mate, wish it was that, I guess at least it is a cheap option to try first

Latest posts

Back