13' D22 Tub >> Alloy or Steel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleggy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have recently purchased a D22 Navara. Loving it so far and I'm the process of setting it up for work like the last ute. Getting rid of the Tub and going to get a tray. That way I can mount my toolboxes, pipe tube, ladder racks......

So far I have a few quotes from some local suppliers of Alloy Trays. Looks to be about 2k for a Tray with all the bits, plus a rear bar, fitted and old tub removed.

I have a mate who's a metal fab worker + engineer who has his own workshop who makes steel trays. For about the same price, he could build me one exactly how I want it and paint it black. There is also the option of perhaps getting a dual cab tray that was made up for another customer that was a no show, for cheap, if I'm happy with the dimensions.........

Question being what would be the weight difference between a Alloy and Steel? How would the D22 handle it?

I didn't purchase the rig to be a speed queen, and will probably look at at Exhaust and Chip a fair bit down the track. But I don't want it to be painfully slow. Thankfully don't have too many tools. Perhaps 250kg including toolbox.

Thoughts?

Alloy has the benefit of not rusting, ever, and not having to worry if you scratch it or drill into it. Steel ones are "known" to be stronger, but some of the newer high quality alloys ones can carry plenty of weight. Steel is easy to weld and modify though(just have to repaint what you do) and they get more weight over the rear so help out with handling in the wet especially
Though steer clear of cheap alloy ones as they rattle over time.

Personally if you can get a steel tray customised for that price, I'd go for it, I'd also invest in some new uprated leaf springs depending how heavy everything is, as the second you put any weight in the factory ones they go banana shaped!

i once had a steel tray uts and never again as it just kept on rusting in areas even after rust treatments. aluminium is the go plus its alot lighter which is better for both the vehicle and fuel economy. just think of the weight of a steel tray by the time you have it decked out , heavy.

I'd ask for the weight of each from the supplier, then work out the difference., it will be considerable Steel can get very heavy and then you have the rust issue too. Anything to keep your weight down is a must.

There's about 40kg or so difference without a h'duty rollbar. I've had both on the same Ute, I'd go steel if I did it again. The Ute drove like it had square wheels with an alloy tray & no load. Truly horrible!

Latest posts

Back