2.5 Diesel chugg and black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCN

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 2.5ltr Spain built, currently when getting upto about 50/60ks its chuggs or misses and blows black smoke, only for a few seconds and then is fine, ive changed all filters etc idles and runs fine just now and then chuggs when going from about 4th gear to 5th gear

I wonder if the neutral switch in the gearbox is getting a bit old? I'm thinking that if it's a bit dodgy, the ECU will think you're in neutral and won't let the turbo spool up too much, but you put your foot on the gas and release the clutch so the injectors do the full squirt, resulting in black smoke and a slight hesitance because there's not enough air ... have you checked the turbo is all ok? I'd assume so because lower gears seem ok (or you would have mentioned them), but anyway here's the checklist:

1) Remove the hose from the baffles or from the hard pipe going to the intercooler and wipe your finger inside the hose, then look at your finger under a bright light. Glitter is bad, it's a sign of a worn turbo.

2) Remove the hose off the front of the turbo and check the shaft for wobble (sideways movement) and smoothness of rotation. It may resist turning a tiny bit, that's normal, but it should be smooth.

3) Check the turbo's connection to the exhaust manifold, looking for black soot. If you see any, you may be leaking exhaust = losing pressure.

I suppose there might be an issue with EGR getting a little too excited, but it's unusual that it only does it in that final gear change, so I'd suspect the NPS first.

Hi further to thread above its slowly got worse - no power 3rd 4th and 5th its like a slug- black smoke - I have replaced the boost solenoid - still the same ! have done all of the above Old Tony suggestions - all seems okay
Have checked all vac lines - seem okay
its a euro 3 engine 2005 model - manual

Some other things to investigate...

- Is the CEL on? Or been on recently and disappeared?

- Suction Control Valve? (might be half buggered)

- Does it start and idle OK? (I'm assuming it does)

- Is it only a problem after third gear? Is the probem dependent on engine speed or road speed?

- Any strange sounds or noises?

- Any obstructions in the air intake system?

Hi BarneyB
No engine light
SCV I have been told I have the long body one and it very rare for this one to fail, the short body ones are the problem
Starts and idles fine
Once i get into second and then thru all the gears its a slug
No strange noises
New air filter and no obstructions
I have had the vehicle from brand new and this is the real first time i have had such a issue

Old Tony i have not checked that but done further checks last night and i have no boost from the turbo at all, I have vacuum at the actuator and movement as well in the shaft, would the NPS effect boost whilst the car is stationary ie in neutral ? when the NPS fails does this stop the turbo from working ?

In neutral the ECU won't allow a lot of boost because you don't need the power when you're just revving at the lights, it's when you drop the clutch in gear that you need the thing to work.

Thanks Old Tony the few mechanics I have spoken to believe NPS has nothing to do with no boost.........a couple laughed and said nothing to do with it.....but i will check it out thanks again

Just to close out, my turbo is caput, however i did have confirmed from multiple Nissan experts (so they say) a neutral position sensor has nothing to do with turbo boost.

Bearings failed car is on 402000 ks first real major thing to go wrong have owned from brand new so can’t complain

Back