2.5 Litre EGR Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy the EGR blanking plates from ChipIt. Bit expensive for what it is but if you're like me and not that handy with tools its a good option.

does the EGR mod help with fuel economy? and how noticable is the down low torque when the mod is done?

I personally reckon not noticable, except on the dyno spec sheet.

Tho, I recommend the mod for other reasons.

just did this to my 08 2.5 D22.

noticed it to be a little smoother power delivery but thats about it.

will drive it tonight and see if it blows less smoke as i also noticed mine chugs out a fair bit.

thanks for the tips.

just did this to my 08 2.5 D22.

will drive it tonight and see if it blows less smoke as i also noticed mine chugs out a fair bit.

thanks for the tips.

Maybe also do an ECU reset after blocking off the EGR. I found that also pretty much eliminated all the smoke unless I'm really on it... (3000+ rpms uphill with a boat on the back)

no worries, ill give it a go, cheers.

it does blow Alot less smoke without resetting allready.

as for fuel consumption, i still have half a tank but have got 100k's extra allready comparing to what i usually get to half a tank.

Right, took me a while but i read through the whole thread on this EGR mod. yes, Im going to do it as well.
One question, it was mentioned that a ECU reset is recommended to be done. How do you do this?

Just got the car so testing fuel consumption from a full tank. Once i need to refill, ill put in the EGR plate and fill up and see how we go. Im more concerned with the smoke blowing than the fuel consumption, so with all the benefits that this mod will do, I see no reason not to

Will update in time

Ant

Search the d22 section for ECU reset if you want to do it from the cabin or just disconnect the battery if you subscribe to that theory. Either way the information is in the D22 section.

just checking

hi all just wanted to clear something up i have done the egr mod on my 2008 d22 2.5cr which i believe has made a huge difference .now what i have been told by a diesel mechanic is that egr blanking is a bad thing it will in time cause engine damage eg.burn out valves cracked pistons and or side wall and turbo failure.can anyone tell me if this is correct or not .also spoke to chipit guy and he said no problems at all with doing this mod .bit confused?????????

hi all just wanted to clear something up i have done the egr mod on my 2008 d22 2.5cr which i believe has made a huge difference .now what i have been told by a diesel mechanic is that egr blanking is a bad thing it will in time cause engine damage eg.burn out valves cracked pistons and or side wall and turbo failure.can anyone tell me if this is correct or not .also spoke to chipit guy and he said no problems at all with doing this mod .bit confused?????????

the diesel mechanic is full of crap.
theres a few motors around that have EGR and non-EGR versions and the non-EGR one is the more reliably one !

its a simple answer even though its already been cleared up..

if you had dirty burnt diesel being re burnt again through the egr tube you are causing more damage to the engine then blocking it and only getting clean air into the motor. some mechanics have no idea what they are craping on about. the cleaner the stuff getting into the car and is not being re-used again into the motor the longer and better it will run.

:D

does it matter if you block off both sides or which is the best side? I mean, Im not familiar diesel engines, but looking into the engine bay and the EGR tube, is it the left or right side to block off?

Hmmmm, I have a lot to learn

Last edited:
ok, all done... ignore the above post as i noticed matt's pic in a previous post and saw which ones to remove..
So for any newbies doing the mod and dont have much mechanical knowledge (like me) heres the go: (need a 12 & 14mm spanner/socket)
1) remove 2 nuts from side of tube (in red circle) (first pic)
2) remove 2 bolts from elbow (blue circle)
3) remove bolt on bracket (green circle)

It all should come apart, BUT just a note be ready to catch the gasket from the LH side elbow as it sits loose in there and mine fell down into the engine bay, then took me 20 mins to find it again!:devil:
I didnt remove my battery like hadricus did but it would make it easier to get the bolts off & in again..
Only 3,000 k's and it was full of black crap...

Notice it to be definately more responsive. Stoked to have done my first mod :rock:

Cheers matt for the blocking plate! :cheers:

With 2 plates do i block off the red and blue circle ends? (photo on page 6) I get nervous about this kind of thing and i have it apart now so thanks heaps

actually the 2nd plate doesn't fit at the elbow blue circle side so would the 2nd plate go at the other end of the tube by the bracket with the green circle.
have put the 1 plate on for now and might do the 2nd later.
cheers

Just did the EGR mod - Definately more responsive and smoother take off. Still saw a little smoke, but will test at night with headlights. Will keep you posted on fuel economy as I will be filling up tmor

now for the butterfly mod :D

why do 2 plates need to be installed for egr mod? i have only 1 installed at drivers side battery end and its doing the job. no point pulling more off if its unnessecary.

Latest posts

Back