2.5 Running Temps - Scanguage users.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowy_07

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Long time no post !

Just thought I'd duck in and get some feedback from some other 2.5 owners.

Overall the Nav is going great (just rolled over 76'000) but one little thing that is bugging me alittle is running temp.

It started last year while I was on my way over to the Kimberley for a season of work. Until then, the temp on my scanguage, might occasionally hit 98 - 99 on the highways around SE QLD, but never more than that.

Heading over to WA last year, the ute was pretty well loaded up, around 3.1T (yes I'm aware this is over GVM and the insurance implications, no lectures please) On a few of the long highway inclines the temp would go up to around 102/103, I'd back off and it would immediately drop back below 100, I just put this down to outside temp and the being so loaded up.

The most frustrating however was when I was towing a trailer along freshly dozed lines(think sandy like the beach) The trailer would've been between 5 - 700 kgs, and outside temp would've been mid 30's. With the air con off I could never really get out of 1st Low without the temp going over 100.

Has anyone else had much experience with this sort of situation? I'm tossing up weather to get another D22 at the end of the year, if it wasn't for this temp problem I wouldn't think twice, but at this stage I'm leaning towards a 2nd hand L'Cruiser.

-Filters have been changed every 5000
-Tires are 265/75 and are run according to the 4psi rule.

Any input is appreciated :)

cheers,
James.

Hi Dion,

That's an interesting point. I've always assumed I suppose that 100 was the magic number to watch out for. I realize that between coolant and the pressure of the cooling system the boiling temp is somewhat higher, but what do you suggest is a reasonable temp for coolant to reach ?

I notice the temp gauge on my dash never moves weather the scan-gauge says 86 or 106. Does any body know what Nissan specifies as safe coolant temp ?

Cheers,
James.

Your tyres are larger than standard so the lever effect is greater - the engine has to work harder to turn the wheels over. You've effectively increased the final drive ratio, which means the engine has to work harder to produce the same result. That will increase the temperature marginally.

My car normally runs around 90-91C unloaded, downhill or on the flat for any speeds from 80-95km/h. Increasing speed, or climbing hills and it rises gradually to about 97-98C.

When I'm towing our van, it will cruise (flat ground, 95km/h) at around the 92-94C mark. Hill climbs cause it to rise to 104-106C usually (30C ambient).

It depends on the speed you're trying to do, how hard you're trying to push the vehicle. I tend to let the diesel do the work - rather than accelerate up to a speed, I let the vehicle wind on up gradually. Probably pisses off some people behind, but they gotta learn that the speed sign is a LIMIT, not a TARGET.

Not sure exactly, it's not in the FSM, but given the system runs at 0.8 - 0.9 bar, you'd need to see at least 117 degrees before boiling running just demineralised water. Add in anti-boil and that is even higher. Don't stress too much.

Hi Tony, I was hoping you'd pop your head in here.

Yeah I realize my Tires/Barwork/Toolboxs don't really help the cause much, but they're a necessary part of the truck unfortunately, so not much i can do there.

Your temps are pretty much on par with how my truck runs as well, mine maybe a degree or 2 warmer.

I'm with you on letting the engine do the work, I very rarely stray outside the rev range. I also realize that pulling this sort of weight around, on this terrain and in these temps, is a big ask for such a small donk. I guess I'm mainly interested in finding out if my temp figures are the norm compared to other navs, and if they're not, finding out what I can do about it.

Thanks for the input !

Cheers,
James.

My wife and I were experimenting with the temperature management on the way back from Wellington today. Had a few serious hills to climb, and I'd fired up my Torque application on my phone.

Climbing hills we decided to try opening the windows, killing the aircon and moving the heater control to maximum with the fan on high as well. Where we'd normally reach 105-106 or so, we'd peak at 101C, so the heater is quite effective.

It'll be a bastard on a 40C+ day of course, but for a couple of minutes while the old girl struggles up the side of a mountain we can live with it, as long as it stops her from overheating and blowing a head gasket.

Tony, just noted that Snowy mentioned no matter what the actual temp was his dash gauge never moved ?...which is a concern.
did you note what your's is indicating vs actual ?

I wouldn't worry about 101 or 102 degrees.
When it hits 110, then I'd start getting a little worried.
I don't think coolant boils till it hits about 126.

Tony, just noted that Snowy mentioned no matter what the actual temp was his dash gauge never moved ?...which is a concern.
did you note what your's is indicating vs actual ?

Sure did.

At normal temp - about 91C - the needle on mine touches the bottom of the lowest wiggly line in the thermometer icon. At 105C, it covers that same line - so there is a marginal movement upwards.

The manual actually covers the situation where the coolant reaches 105C and at that point the cooling system is switched to maximum.

The manual also indicates that if the coolant becomes excessively high, it will turn off the air conditioning but that's well above 105C.

I thought it was mentioned in these pages somewhere that Nissan coolant doesn't boil until 135 but I could be wrong. Either way I agree that 100 is not a figure to be worried about even towing 3.5T in 40 degree heat my ute has never gone over 100, but I do drive differently to most, especially with a trailer load of beef on the back.

I have seen 98 and 99 temps when heading into Renmark in 45 degree heat a few years back, it was so hot in the back of the ute the top of the fridge was nearly too hot to touch and the 3 stage thermo fan we installed in the fridge was running flat out trying to get the heat to escape, but the engine temp sat steady at 98 99 for about 2 and half hours.

Normally mine sits at about 92 though, going by SG my dash gauge reads something like, the first mark is 50-51 degrees and 99 is easily 2 needle widths below the lower of the top lines. I haven't got any maths to prove the following statement but going by those figures it would indicate to me that the lower of the top lines (i.e. the higher scale of "normal") would be atleast 110, so temps of around 100 is cause for taking notice but not cause for concern unless it keeps rising.

Back