2.5L Engine - how much power can it deliver safely?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplosiff

Reaction score
I have a 2.5L D40. I am looking at doing a few performance mods to it in the near future after the timing chain gets done. Mine is a 2008 thai model with a manual transmission (heavy duty clutch fitted). Reads 20PSI just after the last rubber pipe that leaves the intercooler (on a autometer gauge). It already has the EGR blanked off and a provent 200 catch can is fitted. The mods I am looking at doing in one hit are a 3" exhaust, intercooler upgrade and either an ECU tune or a chip if I can't find someone local to do it.

What sort of power could the engine handle delivering safely?
Wanting to do it properly without breaking stuff.

Thanks in advance

thanks, just took a read through his thread. quite an increase in output there. I wonder if he's done any mods to the engine's internals or to the drive-train apart from that deeper pan on the auto transmission.

I'll throw him a PM shortly

from what i remeber when he was doing it, no mods where done to the engine internals.
the auto was tricked up a bit with a shift kit and pan.
it also has water/meth injection.

Serge - Bluenavara ended up with 350hp when I was speaking to him last a few years ago.

He went away from the other chips he was using and used a unichip with injector extender.
It also had a monsterous water/methanol injection kit. Last I heard it is still going.

thanks for that info. I won't be doing anything that crazy but now knowing that I'm confident the engine will handle delivering more than I am even hoping for without issue

The mildly bad news is I found out the timing chain kit will be a tad over $1400 (for a dual row kit from Repco) so that pushes my plans back a little further.

I found a reputable local business here in Townsville that does ECU tuning. They say they have the gear to do D40s, and have a dyno - but they want $150/hr. What do people think about their pricing and how long would it usually take to do a tune? I would be prepared to pay that if need be when and if the time comes, but just curious into hearing other people's thoughts.

150 a hr seems pretty reasonable, it's about avg rate for a tuner in sydney. As for time on the dyno/tuning depends on mods ect and how hard it is to get it running right. My old WB statesman with a 383 stroker cost me about 1000 to tune as everything went to plan. XT falcon with 351 and blower cost me 4000 to try n get it right but never quite got there with over/under fueling issues

You will need custom rods for anything beyond 300Hp on the YD25, i learnt the hard way....

Latest posts

Back