2000 d22 problem diagnosis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cole

Reaction score
G,day everyone how are you all firstly great site ton's and ton's of usefull information thanks so far. Guys my problem that im currently trying to diagnose is on a 2000 d22 4x4 3.2 with aftermarket turbocharger. my main problem is fuel consumption, which i think might be tied in with a few other issues. im currently lucky to get 400k'm to a tank of juice. when doing 100 kph the car is revving very high tad over 3k, and i can change though the gears all the way to top gear and be doing 50hph without labouring the motor , there is very very little turbo lag none at all even it climbs through the gears very quickly when i brought the vehicle it already had the aftermarket turbo on it, and currently has 31-10.5-15 bridgestone tyre's on it. also when i go to engage 4wd i obviously hop out and lock hubs then go back to the vehicle i can only move the 4wd gear lever to high range 4WD the lever will not go into neutral or low four only between H2 and H4.
so guys i dont know if the diff ratio has been changed or the size of wheels and tyre's if a contributing factor or if the gearbox transfercase is causing the problem, any help would be muchly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Cole
Canberra ACT

Hey mate,

I don't have a 3.2 d22 but ill see if I can help, but I'm sure someone will fill you in. The revving sound very high for a diesel at 100kph this could be. Number of issues starting from not tuned properly, slipping clutch causing it you to rev higher to get to speed. Not 100% but might be worth a mechanic sussing that one out. As for the 4wd low selection, in my 09 model you have to push down on the lever and pull it back into neutral/low transfer. The 31/10.5/15 doesn't sound said it is oversized and I don't think its a contributor to your problems.

Hope third helps, if not someone will fill you in

Rusty

2 possibles. Turbo is to small and is pumping alot of heat. TD27 turbo ?

How much smoke is it blowing ?

Sounds like it needs a dyno tune and the pump timing adjusted. Injectors been touched ?

haha thanks rusty i can now select L4 and neutral thanks for that mate lol pushing down on it worked,

Dave, G,day how are you cheers for that reply, yeah its blowing a little bit of smoke will get it dyno tuned this week not sure if injectors have been touched or not but ill start looking into that this week, not sure what turbo is on it ill wait till it cools down a bit and go and have a look.

Welcome to the forum!

I think the D22 does have a lower ratio rear diff, it also has less horsepower than, say, the D40 - the 4cyl D40 only revs slightly over 2000rpm @ 100km/h and the 6cyl diesel revs at about 1700.

If you're actually producing more power you could change diff ratios, although to be honest I don't know how difficult that will be (others here will know).

Smoke is normal for a diesel as long as it's black and only under acceleration. Blue means oil, white means unburnt fuel, black is partly burnt fuel.

You can do several things to improve your vehicle - fit a catch can, add an intercooler, block the EGR. There are plenty of threads with info about these.

3000rpm at 100km/h is normal for an older four cylinder Japanese ute. Small NA engines have to be set up to rev high to keep up. Fitting bigger tyres is the easiest solution for the high revs. Changing diff ratios is costly and difficult. As far as I can tell your only real issue is high fuel consumption. Most likely the source of the excessive fuel consumption is to do with the turbo install and tuning. Get it dyno tuned.

hey tony how are you, thanks for the reply, im going to get it tuned this week as its chewing fuel and not burning all of it efficiently. definelty in need of one bad needs a couple gaskets and a service, i brought the vehicle for work as im trashing my new ute, i operate heavy plant for a living and up until now cant get my ute up to the machine for re-fueling etc so thats why i purchased it the torque is handy when ive got 600 liters of deisel generator compressor toolkit oils and lube on board but,travelling distance and then around site it chews the fuel and breaks traction when there is no weight in the back, but i think ill definely have to look more into the diffs maybe just a complete swap of both might be the way to go..

If you're hauling that much weight it might be an idea to leave the diff and tyre sizes alone so the engine isn't overstressed. You could end up using even more fuel, even after fixing whatever is causing the excessive consumption now.

I'd be wondering about the condition of the fuel injectors and air cleaner, which can have a big effect on fuel consumption. It might also pay to block off any EGR that might be there (I think most cars since the mid 80s ran EGR). That alone will cause the combustion temperatures to rise, burning the fuel better and reducing smoke, with an improvement in economy at the same time. It shouldn't be a huge gain in power or economy, but it should noticeably change the smoke levels.

Dion knows about diffs much more than I do, and if he says they're messy, then they're best left alone.

Back