2008 Transmission Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mog

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2008 D40 Navara, 225K on the clock

the other day whilst driving it suddenly didnt have any power.

i have a USB ELM327 OBDII scanner and i scaned the D40 but no errors are shown, i only have generic software and can only read normal engine errors, so i cant read any gearbox faults.

I have noticed the follow:

when i pull away for the first time, the car drives 100% going through all its gears.

when i stop and pull away again it seems to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and takes a whild to pick up speed and stays in that gear.

if i switch off and switch on again then it pulls fine until i slow down then stuck in gear again.

if while driving and its stuck in gear, i change to neutral, switch off restart then to drive, it is fine again, until i slow down/stop.

it seems like a Limp Mode problem. but i dont know where to start,

and finally when i start the car it sort of klunks, when engaging first gear.

I checked the transmission fluid and its levels are corect.
I droped the gearbox sump and everything looks fine, nothing obvious
There are no shavings / debries in the sump

The dealer local to me are idiots and say i need a new transmission @ R70 000.

they do not service transmission's at Nissan but send thm to a specilist shop, so no help from them.

I am at wits end, any advice would be great

Kenny

Hi Thanks for the response

I had read that but his symptoms were a little different, it seems he is always in limp mode, whereas i only go into limp mode on the down shift

do you perhaps know of a way to read gearbox code using elm 327 / anyother method.

Sorry i am in Parys a small farming community in South Africa, and we do not have any decent autosparks here with Nissan Scanners

Unfortunately I think the nissan consult tool is the only way you are going to be able to read gearbox codes.

If yours is only doing it on the downshift, what happens if you put it into neutral before you start slowing down?

OK , it still does it on the neutral.

I took it on a 160KM italian tuneup (ride the S#$T out of it) these are the observations:

on initial pull off, it engages 1st,

on stop and pull off again it pulls off in second,

it is engaging 2nd 3rd and fourth

so it seems that 1st and overdrive have a problem

Any advise?

If it's accelerating from a stop in 2nd gear then the gearbox has malfunctioned internally. Sensor issues could cause intermittent limp mode, but if the gearbox is selecting the wrong gear (or is unable to select the correct gear) then it's nothing to do with the external ECU.

The gearbox has a revolution sensor on its output shaft which is used to determine vehicle speed for the gearbox computer (TCM). I've never heard of a failure there, but there's always a possibility (and a first). The TCM decides the gear choice based on the rev sensor and drivetrain load. There's every chance that an intermittent signal from the rev sensor will cause the gearbox to react poorly at strange times.

Hi I know it's been 8 years since but I have the same problem did you ever find the problem as I have the same cheers

Latest posts

Back