2010 D22 Factory Double Din Stereo Questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagzila

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade the audio system in my new 2010 D22 Nav but I want to retain the double din factory head unit if I can as it already does everything I want...I just want to improve the audio quality by adding some rear speakers (maybe replace the fronts as well though the stockies sound ok for now) and add some bass to it.

So my questions are:

- Does it have any RCA outputs I can run to an amp for the sub?

- Is there already wiring in the rear doors for speakers? I read about some earlier D22 models that have it where others don't, couldn't find any references to 2010 models.

- Are there any special tricks to removing the head unit / gaining access to the rear of it?

Looking to either run a couple of these Fusion active subwoofers daisy chained or one of these Alpine powered compact subwoofers, mounted behind the rear seat.

Cheers,

Craig

G'day mate.
Definitely no RCA outputs behind that unit and as I have never looked behind the rear door trims, I asked nissan if wiring was there, although I was pretty certain there wasn't, their reply confirmed it. There isn't even a door switch for dome lights at rear doors.
Access to the deck is pretty straight forward. 2 screws you can see if you put your head close to the gear stick, and then begin peeling it off slowly from top working your way down.
The very top is held by a few steel clips, and these CAN fall down behind the dash and can be a pain to recover if it falls somewhere deep. So be cautious.
Now seeing, where YOUR UHF front face is positioned you may have to remove that as well, it's just held on by 2 zippy ties. Works well, and no drilling into plastic.
Hope I haven't missed anything.

Depending on what type of amp you get you can run high level inputs in, which is just the speaker wires straight off the head unit. I think the 2010's have speaker wire into the doors, I know it goes into the b pillar in mine and I'm pretty sure it goes with the power window/central locking loom into the doors, but I'm not sure as I haven't had the door panel off. I have a sony amp behind the seat and even after replacing the head unit I still haven't bothered with RCA's. I just use the high level inputs on the amp which work fine.

I have 2 6x9s behind the back seat on the low pass filter from the amp to run as sub's, fusion splits in the front running off the front channel of the amp and 2 extra fusion tweeters in the top of the b pillars to help with the high range sounds for the back (not that the 1 and 3 yo's need better sound, lol) and I'm considering putting the woofers from the second set of splits in the back doors, just to give a bit more depth.

We have an xr5 focus which has splits front and rear stock and the sound from that is incredible considering it's a stock Sony setup...

G'day mate.
Definitely no RCA outputs behind that unit and as I have never looked behind the rear door trims, I asked nissan if wiring was there, although I was pretty certain there wasn't, their reply confirmed it. There isn't even a door switch for dome lights at rear doors.
Access to the deck is pretty straight forward. 2 screws you can see if you put your head close to the gear stick, and then begin peeling it off slowly from top working your way down.
The very top is held by a few steel clips, and these CAN fall down behind the dash and can be a pain to recover if it falls somewhere deep. So be cautious.
Now seeing, where YOUR UHF front face is positioned you may have to remove that as well, it's just held on by 2 zippy ties. Works well, and no drilling into plastic.
Hope I haven't missed anything.

G'day Hodge,

Thanks for the info, bit disappointing as it's a great unit for something factory...will have to pull it out and see what I've to work with and maybe try the high level input option by splicing off the rear speaker wires or something.

Yeah I was quite surprised and disappointed that a car with power windows, AC, map lights, bluetooth head unit, etc. didn't come with door switches on all 4 doors, only 1 and that there was also only one "jesus" handle...very cheap of Nissan, I guess over the thousands of car's they have made this way it's probably saved them some decent money - but common! It's three extra simple door switches, a bit of wiring and some plastic for the handles, this stuff without question should be standard!

Depending on what type of amp you get you can run high level inputs in, which is just the speaker wires straight off the head unit. I think the 2010's have speaker wire into the doors, I know it goes into the b pillar in mine and I'm pretty sure it goes with the power window/central locking loom into the doors, but I'm not sure as I haven't had the door panel off. I have a sony amp behind the seat and even after replacing the head unit I still haven't bothered with RCA's. I just use the high level inputs on the amp which work fine.

I have 2 6x9s behind the back seat on the low pass filter from the amp to run as sub's, fusion splits in the front running off the front channel of the amp and 2 extra fusion tweeters in the top of the b pillars to help with the high range sounds for the back (not that the 1 and 3 yo's need better sound, lol) and I'm considering putting the woofers from the second set of splits in the back doors, just to give a bit more depth.

We have an xr5 focus which has splits front and rear stock and the sound from that is incredible considering it's a stock Sony setup...

My 2012 had the wiring in the rear doors. Just pull one trim off and check.

Thanks guys, I do plan to get in there and check it out, just basically trying to do some research on the matter beforehand to make the process a little more time efficient :wink:

From what I can see in the Alpine unit diagrams, it will take input from the speaker wires so might end up going with this unit.

Cheers,

Craig

Yeah I was quite surprised and disappointed that a car with power windows, AC, map lights, bluetooth head unit, etc. didn't come with door switches on all 4 doors, only 1 and that there was also only one "jesus" handle...very cheap of Nissan, I guess over the thousands of car's they have made this way it's probably saved them some decent money - but common! It's three extra simple door switches, a bit of wiring and some plastic for the handles, this stuff without question should be standard!
Well there is a reason they are only around $30k brand new. I guess you pay for a tried and tested 4x4 tradies ute, and they skimped on those things to save $ in the long run.
As others have said, get the trim off and have a peek. There might actually be speaker wire there.

Well there is a reason they are only around $30k brand new. I guess you pay for a tried and tested 4x4 tradies ute, and they skimped on those things to save $ in the long run.
As others have said, get the trim off and have a peek. There might actually be speaker wire there.

That's what I mean though, you wouldn't expect such a cheap 4x4 (in comparison to top range models anyway) to come standard with a double DIN blue tooth head unit, power windows, etc which never used to be standard items in cars yet are missing a few small things that all up probably only cost a few $ when mass produced for the production lines and really are the most basic of standardised car features these days. Just seems a little strange to me...but no biggie, I'm not complaining, just making an observation of something I find a bit odd...they aren't hard at all to add back in myself :wink:

.they aren't hard at all to add back in myself :wink:

Ha-ha exactly. They're so easy to modify and fit add-ons. It's as if nissan is selling this 4x4 ute as a blank canvas for people to turn into whatever they want it to be.
I'm driving a brand new one at work at the moment and brings back deja vu from when i got mine and began drawing up a scope of accessories to fit. Except I'm not allowed to fit a single thing to this one. Oh well.

That's what I mean though, you wouldn't expect such a cheap 4x4 (in comparison to top range models anyway) to come standard with a double DIN blue tooth head unit, power windows, etc which never used to be standard items in cars yet are missing a few small things that all up probably only cost a few $ when mass produced for the production lines and really are the most basic of standardised car features these days. Just seems a little strange to me...but no biggie, I'm not complaining, just making an observation of something I find a bit odd...they aren't hard at all to add back in myself :wink:

I must admit that when I bought mine new in 2010 the blue tooth stereo, power windows and mirrors were pretty much what sold it to me. I thought it was so much better equipped than anything priced near it. Took me weeks to realise it had more ashtrays than light switches. However all these probs can and are being rectified. Am watching your stereo upgrade with great interest . Ben

I dont intend to highjack your thread but i also dont want to start a new one on such a similar topic, I have a 2012 D22 navara and I think it severely lacks in sound quality and bass, tomorrow i will try to install some Pioneer 4 way 350w 6inch speakers i got out of my commodore before i sold it.
Also im thinking of installing some 6x9s in the rear but going by the small amount of room i hear is in the back doors i might have to go for something smaller.
Eventually i will order a cheap ebay DVD/GPS/Reverse cam combo head unit and see how it goes and chuck a powered slimline fusion sub under the seat.
forgot to ask my question lol, will 6x9s fit in rear where ashtray is? and does changing just fronts make much difference?

Last edited:
Hi Pirate,

Haven't done anything on mine yet, waiting for a free weekend to check it out. If you ever plan on doing any river crossings though, I would mount your sub behind the rear seat or if possible, onto the rear seat itself up higher again to reduce the possibility of killing it if you get water in the cabin.

I also don't like your chances of fitting 6x9s in the rear doors unless you have some custom mounts the hold the speaker out a bit further from the door, creating the space you need.

Cheers,

Craig

thats a good idea mate, I installed the pioneer speakers this morning not that huge a difference really although i bought the speakers off ebay in china so maybe thats why! Ill see if theres much difference with a new head unit when i can afford one, and i do have some 6x9 spacers that come out nearly an inch so ill have a crack at fitting those in some time soon hopefully.

Latest posts

Back