2012 D40 Limp Mode,,, Nissan Stumped

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefftun

Reaction score
Hi,
My 2012 D40 went into limp mode 3 weeks ago. Nissan do not know what is going on. They are at the stage where they are checking each individual wire in the car as they keep getting error messages. I would like to know if it is possible for the computer to be faulty, and how long does it take for Nissan to say "hey, maybe we have a lemon here" and replace it. Engine light came on and then went straight into Limp Mode. They originally thought it was the Emmission Gas Regulator, or something along those lines, but still the same issue once it was replaced. Any suggestions on what I can do with Nissan to hurry them up as I want my car back.

Welcome to the forum.

There's no guarantee Nissan would listen to anything said on an internet forum. I was told when buying my car to be very careful of the forums. With an attitude like that, any advice or information coming from this direction is likely to be treated with disdain. Worse, the dealers often believe that because they sell the cars, they're experts - this attitude isn't confined to the motor vehicle sales industry, just look at the Harvey Normal computer sales.

The EGR is the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". It's an emission control, late 2011 onwards had a sensor in the EGR valve that detected flow - if the EGR tube is blocked (deliberately, or through a build-up of soot, damage to the pipe etc) then these cars will trigger the Check Engine Light. I didn't think they'd go into limp mode for an EGR failure.

If I had the car I'd reset the ECU, remove the fault codes, then monitor the vehicle in motion - fuel rail pressure and boost pressure being at the top of the list, with coolant temperature, MAFS data (flow, temp) and others like throttle position and engine load. I'd then compare graphs of these to see if any of the values were grossly unexpected.

That'd at least give me some direction to look at.

Was it doing anything extraordinary before it started into limp mode? Have you done an EGR mod on it?

No mods. Only electical extras are additional 12v plugs, and electric brakes with anderson plug for the van. The car never gave any pre warning that it was playing up. 16000ks on the clock. Tried resetting the computer, that was the very first thing Nissan Roadside Assist had me do, and still same problem.

my old man had the same problem it turned out to be a bad fuel pump but it wasnt showing up in the error codes

Check all the fuel lines. There was a loose clamp somewhere on mine and was letting air in. Limp mode all over the place and had them stumped.

Now it seems to be the Engine Control Module. All corroded. This seems weird as it is a 2012 model that has never been flooded or off road. Hopefully at least the problem is now solved so may get my car back after 3 and a bit weeks.

I had a similar problem 2012 D40 which only showed up when the van was behind the car. After a week stuck in another town I was told the vehicle was fixed and started driving away and 10k's later (after putting the van back on) I was on my way back to the dealer. They tested the car whilst still running and got an exhaust sensor error (this didn't show up previously as it wasn't storing in the computer). This was replaced and now a month later I have had to go back to the dealer as I've gone into limp mode again twice in the last two weeks. Result I have been told the exhaust sensor needs to be replaced again with the "B" version of the part number (Nissan are apparently now aware that there is a faulty batch). Fingers crossed for both of us.

Hope you get a good run now.
Did they say where the ecm is located?

Not saying it will fix the problem....but just crack you fuel cap. I know it sounds odd but this seem to work for one of my work colleagues when his was persistently going into limp mode. Problem went away altogether when an aftermarket long rang tank was fitted together with a breather located in the engine bay.

In the D40, the ECM is located near the right-hand-side bonnet hinge. There's a large box on the right side of the brake fluid reservoir - that's the electrical distribution box - and then there's a thin box between that and the side wall - the ECM.

limp mode...what a f#!king joke.

i had an issue with my rear indicator so had a play round with it.

next day on the way to work going through an intersection my car when into limp mode.
limped off to nissan. they gavee this line about suspension changes and stuff that it wa not a warranty issue. f wits.

anyway once they told me it could be an electrical fault, so i suggested they look in the rear lights turned out i mixed the brake and indicator globes up which caused the computer to go in to limp mode. why??? oh a safety thing...crap.

i recon these modern cars are sh!t.

The limp mode thing wouldn't be a problem if the system was clear enough to read so they could be more certain of the direction needed to fix it.
The quality of products, any products suffer because of the expectations of the consumer. The consumer continues to expect more bells n whistles for their dollar and the producers listen and supply.
Eg: The new Pulsar, more, more, more, for less.
How many extras can you get for free? None..... It all costs something, quality. Imo

I have a friend with a 2012 Subaru that has a similar problem with corroded sensors and plugs. Had a big battle with Subaru, but that's another story.
There is a theory out there that the Thai and Japanese floods from 18mths or so ago are starting to bite in regards to some of the parts supplied to the manufactures.

I had a similar problem 2012 D40 which only showed up when the van was behind the car. After a week stuck in another town I was told the vehicle was fixed and started driving away and 10k's later (after putting the van back on) I was on my way back to the dealer. They tested the car whilst still running and got an exhaust sensor error (this didn't show up previously as it wasn't storing in the computer). This was replaced and now a month later I have had to go back to the dealer as I've gone into limp mode again twice in the last two weeks. Result I have been told the exhaust sensor needs to be replaced again with the "B" version of the part number (Nissan are apparently now aware that there is a faulty batch). Fingers crossed for both of us.

Interesting....My D40 is 3 weeks old and 2300ks on the clock, it first went into limp mode at 1k, after taking it in to Nissan Hobart they did the first service and changed the exhaust sensor which had triggered.....All fine for another 1000k until last Friday it did it again! Then Sunday 4 times so today it went back into Nissan only to be told maybe a bad earth, thats ok they did check a slighlty loose negative terminal only to find 5 k up the road it limped again! and then again and again!! After taking it back once the engine light came on they said exhaust sensor again, so heres the kick, they had no idea until i pushed it that nissan has placed a freeze on the part as it needs upgrading to the "b" Part, Where are the new sensors??? still waiting ona n answer and getting more pissed by the day!GRRR

Latest posts

Back