2013 Navara St

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New to Navara

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering purchasing the 2013 ST but there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on the net. Looking to get some peace of mind, would anyone be able to share their views? Also, any particular views on either the auto or manual?

Thanks guys

welcome mate
there were a few minor issues with the early d40's
all have been sorted
ime sure a d40 owner will come along shortly and give you more info
one of our members works as a nissan mechanic and just bought a new d40, he wasnt concerned
plenty of guys on here who love them
great utes
what purpose will it be used for?

Thanks guys. Just bit the bullet and put a down payment on the ST- manual. Have a 24 hr cooling off period so hope I have made the right decision. Havnt done much in the way of 4x4 (yet), mostly to be used as the main family car and hauling a trailer down the south coast every second weekend or so. Any tips would be most welcome from any new D40 owners...
Also, so much info around accessories not sure where to start, any tips would also be greatly appreciated.

From the chatter on here the D40 seems to be a great truck. As already said, some earlier versions had a few issues (timing chain, SCV etc) but they seem to be under control now. They also had some towing issues with the manuals because of the dual mass flywheels - but I hear that they're now single mass again.

Welcome to the funny farm BTW!

Great ute a little low but with a 2" lift and 32s you'll be right. All the basic I guess bull bar driving lights, if you intend to do a bit of off roading a sump plate will help. For basic towing the rear suspension will do fine.

They have had a number of issues over the past 7 years. Early D40s had rear axle issues. DPFs (auto only, pre 2011) gave people grief and the SCV has been problematic for the 2008 to early 2010 models. Late 2010 and through to early 2012 saw issues with the turbocharger actuator (changed from vacuum in pre-2010 to electronic) followed by the 2011/2012 EGR issues (reported to be software, not the valve itself).

However, late 2012 and onwards seem to be reasonably free of these issues. We had one person show us an intercooler that seemed to suffer from enormous pressure and ballooned the cores at the top but that was in the V6, which suffered in its early days (late 2011) from ballooning charge air hoses too.

These issues seem to be a thing of the past. Even the new V6 diesel doesn't seem to draw many people here to complain about it, or seek confirmation that a particular "feature" isn't expected.

In short, the Navara has become a GREAT car. My 2009 auto is superb, I guess I was lucky there, others weren't as fortunate. I chose the auto for towing - these cars are heavy, they can tow 3T, taking their gross mass to 5.9T - that's a lot for the little clutch to handle, even with the single mass flywheel. Personally I would never look past the auto if you intend to tow.

If you're towing more than 750kg, get a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 installed and make sure the trailer has electric brakes. This is THE best brake controller on the market.

Also, remember that the car is very smooth coming out of the showroom but the suspension is not suitable for Australian conditions - count on replacing it, and once you DO replace it, you'll wonder why you waited. The standard stuff will suffice, but after-market is SO much better.

Had my 08 Outlaw D40 for almost a year and very happy with it overall. 106600km as @ today.

Best ute in class (IMO) for a taller person like myself and finished not too badly. Some pissy problems like nearly all vehicles and as always the key to keeping your D40 house in order ... maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!

Appreciate everyone's input. My Navara should be ready to pick up next Thursday, cant wait. Looking forward to getting a "few extras". Any suggestions around the best placed to get it lifted in Sydney, am down south in the Sutherland area.

I have a 2013 ST auto, and i got the top ARB/OME suspension kit fitted two weeks after I took delivery. 2inch lift with the nitro shocks. it was $2490, but worth every cent. They come out pretty low, and even though it had no trouble on the beach standard, it is so much better through the deep soft ruts with the 2inch lift and slightly bigger (265/65/R17) mickey thompson baja STZs on.

I too was sceptical at all of the negative reviews/comments about navaras just before I bought mine, but it's been a dream so far (only 3500km so far).

Happy driving in your new truck!

Comforting to know that feedback on the 2013 version has been really positive so far. Excuse the ignorance but with getting the truck lifted, installing a chip etc, would this void any warranties at all?

As far as the lift goes no. Only if the lift has contributed to the problem.
The chip is another issue, if anything in the engine or drive line poops itself they will knock you back in a flash if they know a chip has been fitted. Personally I would avoid the chip. Unless you you really need and not want that extra grunt.
If you don't need the extra clearance but still would like a better ride and control at least go for better shocks. The OEM ones are rubbish unless they have improved over the last 2 years, they fade really fast on all but the shortest, smooth runs.

Latest posts

Back