2014 d22 navara fast speedo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezar1962

Reaction score
brand new Nissan navara d22 everywhere I go people are tailgating me b doubles overtake me tourist busses fly by p platers are abusing me and cutting me off when they overtake Monday the 22nd on a single lane 80kmh rd half way down the tail of cars trucks and busses I had accumulated I notice a car pullout to overtake luckly the rd was clear as he eventually passed me at a great speed of knots.i've been driving for nearly 40 years and this has never happened before. today I get out this fandangled gps thingymabob the missus got me for xmas it says im doing 10% less than the indicated speed! 110kmh freeway and i'm coasting along at 99kmh no wonder b doubles are passing. this is dangerous i'm going back to the dealers tomorrow and see what they say I read that another cog in the gearbox can fix this problem any comments?

You're wasting your time going back to the dealers. They are legally able to have a difference of 10% as long as it's under not over.

i think they still run off the gearbox, in which case you can get adjustment boxes. they are made for when you change diffs/tires. you can change the sensor output.

however i would check of the odometer is correct. if thats recording the km's fine then its a display issue. adjusting the speedo sender will make it record more km's than you actually do.

i think they still run off the gearbox, in which case you can get adjustment boxes. they are made for when you change diffs/tires. you can change the sensor output.

however i would check of the odometer is correct. if thats recording the km's fine then its a display issue. adjusting the speedo sender will make it record more km's than you actually do.
The odometer is spot on in them. If you use an obd2 adaptor to compare the the speed reading the ecu is getting, it is spot on to gps measured speed when cruising. It is just the needle calibration that is out. Whether there's something in the ecu that can be adjusted with a flash tune to correct the inaccuracy I'm not sure, but I'd like to find out...

It's not just these that have the problem, quite a lot of new cars are the same. They think they are doing 100km/h on the freeway, but getting overtaken by trucks that are limited to 100 like they're standing still...

They even do it to motorbikes, my yammy was doing 94 when the digital speedo read 100 kmh. The government and the cops talked all manufactures into doing this deliberately years ago because people caught speeding kept trying to use the excuse speedos weren't that accurate, so know they all over read so if you get caught speeding, you weren't just over, your way over.
Speed limit reduction by stealth!
The tacho in my zd30 is out by 300 rpm at 3000 rpm according to ecutalk.

ADR states that the speedo "cannot read under" but is allowed to read "10%+4km/h over" the vehicle's actual speed. That means at 100km/h actual, your speed is allowed to read 114km/h. It is NOT allowed to read 99km/h and it is NOT allowed to read 115km/h.

If it's compliant (within those limits), Nissan won't touch it. There's no point wasting thousands on different sets of tyres to find "the right size for you" because as Bods pointed out, the ECU actually knows the vehicle speed quite accurately - it is just a case of a dodgy needle - and by changing the tyre size, you are making the ECU - and the odometer, thus any economy figures you might keep - inaccurate.

The best advice is already given above: use a GPS device. They're supposed to be accurate to 1%. I don't know about today, but that used to have a caveat in wartime - military would take the bandwidth of the positioning satellites and instead of having a granularity in your GPS of 10m, it blew out to something like "your position within 100m" (we did some work back in the 90s and early 2000s with NSW Rail looking at certain things for freight trains and this came out in the study).

its going in on the 15th for its 1000k nut checkup if they knock it back because it complies with the adr I wonder then if the accc would consider the fit for purpose laws. fit for safe use on Australian roads? as it is I feel unsafe on the freeway with speedlimited trucks continually overtaking me. I feel that I should not have to buy a device to more accurately indicate the true speed of the vehicle. with technology today it would not be difficult for manufacturers to ensure their vehicles speedometers are accurate

its going in on the 15th for its 1000k nut checkup if they knock it back because it complies with the adr I wonder then if the accc would consider the fit for purpose laws. fit for safe use on Australian roads? as it is I feel unsafe on the freeway with speedlimited trucks continually overtaking me. I feel that I should not have to buy a device to more accurately indicate the true speed of the vehicle. with technology today it would not be difficult for manufacturers to ensure their vehicles speedometers are accurate

While you're right - you shouldn't have to buy a device to know the true speed of your vehicle - the rules say different. Those rules are going to be used by Nissan to NOT take action because the vehicle complies with that law. Those rules will also be used by Nissan in its defence at the ACCC and the ACCC will decide in Nissan's favour - and send you the bill, because the vehicle complies with the law.

And everyone else who's doing the speed limit is either breaking the speed limit according to their speedo (and that's likely, especially if it's a young girl txting her m8s to say she's on her way plz w8), or they're relying on a GPS.

Latest posts

Back