265/75/16 on 8 inch rim not holding preassure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trb012

Reaction score
Hey guys went out 4bing over the weekend up at haqua and had both my front tyres leak from the bead after the preassures were lowered. Broke them off the rims and it was dirt and crap that was causing the leak my mates seem to think that the rims are too wide for the tyre size and thats whats causing it? Anyone had this happen before? I only brought 8 inch rims due to seeing alot of people on here using them with that tyre size.

trb012 said:
Hey guys went out 4bing over the weekend up at haqua and had both my front tyres leak from the bead after the preassures were lowered. Broke them off the rims and it was dirt and crap that was causing the leak my mates seem to think that the rims are too wide for the tyre size and thats whats causing it? Anyone had this happen before? I only brought 8 inch rims due to seeing alot of people on here using them with that tyre size.

I've got 8" rim running 265/75/16 tires. Never had that problem. But then 18PSI is where i go to on sand, and about 25 is where I start on rocky terrains.

What pressure did you drop to?

Dropped them to 25psi and was on mostly rocky terrain. Got the first leak after a river crossing but so not sure if that would have made any difference?

Shouldn't have made much of a difference. Secondly, what tyre are you running? The type of tyre might have something to do with it.

I would almost hazard a guess that the tyres weren't seated in their beads particularly well in the first place.

Some tyres are more prone to getting grit behind the bead than others (BFG's with the rim protector lip are nortorious for it). Hard turning on low pressure can force the grit in as the tyre is pushed away from the rim so driving technique can play a role. And some mud will be slippery which enables the grit to get in under the bead as it acts as a bit of a lubricant. 265/75R16 are meant to go on 7-8 inch rims so that is all OK.

Im running maxxis bighorns so tyre's should be ok? I guess il just keep an eye on the next time I go out and see how they go?

I would be more heading towards them not being sealed properly to start. Maybe get them refitted etc. I've run 18psi in my federal and have no dramas. That's with 8" rim.

Yeah, I've got bighorns on an 8" rim, I'd be getting them refitted. Also go to a different tire shop than the one that fitted it.

Back