265/75/16 vs 275/70/16 !Dilemma!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Shay-

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Getting close to new tyres time and I can't make up my flippin mind so Im throwing it out there for some opinions!

Looking at getting BFG all terrains.

Have been quoted
$310 for 265/75/16s
and
$340 for 275/70/16s

Now there is very little difference, and I doubt I would really notice it driving.

Both give an increase in height over stock (already have 2in lift)

Most of my 4wding is done on sand so big height increases arent really super duper needed however possibly going to look at the cape next year.

So do I go 10mm wider, or 12mm higher? What will give me more traction in the sand/off road. I'm currently thinking wider but I am open to being convinced otherwise, or support for the 275's!

Anyway, would love some opinions, thanks in advance!

I'd go with the 265's, I use the same size in the BF KM2's with a 4" lift and there great, awesome in the sand and off road and not at all slippery in the wet

265/75 is a pretty common size if you have to replace one somewhere remote, plus for a cape trip won't you want 2 spares? factor that into the cost $180 less if you got the 265/75 ;)

mate a 275 is better on an 8"rim so that's another thing to think about, i have had both 265 and 275 BFG's and would always go with the 275, less flex `in the sidewall with a lower wider tyre

275 would still be alright on the 7inch stock rims though yeah? From what ive seen that should be fine?

Glad to read someone has actually run the 275's

I would go the 265/75/16's, they're a far more common tire size, so if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, you're more likely to get a replacement.

Also, they're the slightest bit taller.

yeah i had my 275's on stock 7"rims and they where fine,as for replacment tyres in the middle of nowhere they will always have to order tyres in no matter what the size and brand the height difference is bugger all as they are both big tyres,i just liked the look of the 275.

275 would still be alright on the 7inch stock rims though yeah? From what ive seen that should be fine?

Glad to read someone has actually run the 275's

The actual recommended size for a 7" rim is 255, you'd really need an 8" for 275.
A taller tyre is better for sand because when you lower your pressures you get a longer footprint, that's what gives you the floatation.
I would go 265 75 r16 and have that myself.

But wouldn't the overall amount of tyre (in mm2) on the ground be pretty similar due to the extra width on the 275?

Seems like most people here have run 265's and are enjoying them!

you get a much bigger increase from diameter just like a caterpillar track works, yes the width increase makes a difference but it's a small amount at the sides, the diameter increase gives that front and back on the footprint.

Ended up going the 275. Not sure about fitting of not lifted. I got bfg a/T's and the are big tyres. Bigger than a friends 265/75/17. So far really happy with them. Will see how they go when I spend a month on Fraser in September

Nice one, I was in desperate need of tyres so gotta set today 275/70 16 , nav isn't lifted . Standard height and the fit a treat no worries at all

Ended up going the 275. Not sure about fitting of not lifted. I got bfg a/T's and the are big tyres. Bigger than a friends 265/75/17. So far really happy with them. Will see how they go when I spend a month on Fraser in September
A month on Fraser?,your a lucky man indeed.

Latest posts

Back