2nd time round.........!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara67

Reaction score
Hi Guy's

Thought I would share my story. Short version..

Had a late 2012 STX V6 no mods apart from k&n air filter and fuel water trap. Did 40000 klms and was a lemon from 4000. Had a trans replacement @ 26000 klm , blue an intercooler @31000 klm. Axle seal drowned brakes in oil and caused chaos, etc etc etc. Not entirely happy with repairs and was a bit guttless.

Made the decision to trade on the same vehicle again just before Christmas Bought a late 13 in Dec 14 for budget reasons.

Took delivery early January 2015. Upon leaving dealership check engine light comes on......2 hours later codes cleared , suspect battery not fully charged as had been sitting for a long time.... go again and cruise set light flashes and wont allow cruise to work, trans locked in gear and loss of power. STOP, TURN OFF AND ON , seems ok..... not for long. Hapens another 6 times then car stalls in traffic. Restarts and goes........i get out of traffic and stop. Sitting idling it stalls again. Starts again......travel 150 klm and stalls at 100 kph on highway and now wont start at all. Shows the word ERROR on the odometer and car will turn over but not start. Disconnetced battery..1/2 hour......no help, started wiggling wiring harnesses near battery and bingo it goes. Travelling again and check engine light on again ....stop start again and again. 4X4 wont engage high or low , 4x4 light comes on but wont activate 4x4, chassis skeleton dissappears but wont return when turning off 4x4.....
ERROR light still happens and shuts car down with no warning , stop, OPEN BONNET, wriggle and or tap fuse block/wiring harness/connectors near battery and starts again , clear codes and engine light which have been air fuel mix and glow plug sensor , i do this with scan guage. LUCKY I TRAVEL WITH THIS OR I WOULD STILL BE ON THE HIGHWAY WAITING FOR NISSAN ROADSIDE ASSIST!
vehicle has not done 1000 klm yet............bought long way away from local dealer and very dissapointed.

On the positive........it feels like it has a bit more stick but cant be sure until it has some more klms on it.

Any thoughts welcome sorry for the rant.

What a horror story, at this point I would be looking at either getting a replacement vehicle or my money back.

O yeah, and stop fixing it yourself!!! I know it's going to be a lot of hassle for you, but make them pick it up with a truck every single time something goes wrong, back to the dealer. This will start costing them significant money and they will have to address the issue.

Yes that's right. don't touch it when it stops. Call them and keep records of it. tell them you don't want it back until it is 100% fixed or you want your money back.

All well and good but this vehicle is my livelihood , no vehicle means I can't run my business..........if I had left it up to Nissan I would be stuck on the roadside with no way to travel home the 600 klm....until Monday....and car wont be looked at for a week. Great service Nissan network ! NOT !

C'mon guys, his post says he bought it a long way away from the dealer, do you really expect him to be sitting on the side of the road, waiting for Nissan Roadside Assist?

With everything dropping out the way it is, and your playing with the fuse box, indicates there would be a poor connection in or around it. If it's easy enough to access, I'd run a quick spanner check and give the purchasing dealer a call, so the fault is logged on their records. If you are quite remote to a Dealer, they may allow a local auto electrician to look into it for you under warranty.

I have to hand it to you, after the original vehicles faults, I would have been looking at a different manufacturer. Good luck navara67, hopefully it's just a simple loose connection.

What a nightmare. Hope it works out for you. I would be asking some serious questions of the dealer as to why it was there in the first place. What is the fault history of the car...etc. that or i would leave it on thier door step and demand a refund as it is unfit for purpose.

I'm surprised you haven't traded it on on a pair of Great Walls to be honest (because one second hand Navara ought to get you at least two, with free servicing and spares to last a year).

There is nothing stopping you taking it to a nearby dealer. You have a warranty with Nissan, not with the dealer, and any dealer is obligated to look at your car - they are compensated by Nissan for the work, after all.

However it does sound like there's something loose. One common culprit has been the earth cable - both between the battery and the engine block, and the one near the ECU where they sometimes didn't remove any paint before attaching the earth cable. This could throw up any error imaginable, sending you (or the dealer) on a wild goose chase.

Also clean the battery terminals (particularly the positive one if the car had been sitting idle for some time) and check the fusible links. Removing and reinserting fuses is a good way to clean them too, just in case one decided it was going to oxidise in its spare time.

Thanks everybody.

I have done all of the above and did find some loose connections which I tightened. As luck would have it got me the 700 odd klms home but failing every 45 mins or so and resetting everything to default settings.
Cant get into my local dealer for a week , so lucky I can keep it going myself !!!!!!
I am about to send Nissan Motor Corp a letter.............wont get me anywhere but might appease my frustrations a little......

I'd be dropping it off and demanding them to pay for a hire car and fix it. My gear selector in my work car (iload) broke. My boss made them pay for a van from a rental place. Got the van back pretty quick.

If you bought it for work then I'd be explaining that to the head honcho of your nearest nissan.

Good luck!

All fixed

A bit of an update ,

After several hospital stays over a few months my Nav is finally operating as intended. Eventually it was detected 2 of the 4 relays that operate the 4X4 system were causing all the issues experienced. Here's hoping it stays this way.

Latest posts

Back