3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EGR/Swirl mod

Hi new to this site and the Navara sene, i have been reading a bit about the EGR mod. I have now done the blank plus unplugged the swirl control (i think) and rearranged the vacc. hoses. I am wondering if there is anything else that need to be done as i have not noticed much difference? Cheers any help would be great

Welcome to the forum, Tuff22.

The EGR mod won't provide dramatic results, but it does make some important changes (which you can assist further by using a catch can). The soot created by poorly-burnt diesel is part of the EGR and it builds up in the pipe and lines the intake manifold. With the oil from the blow-by, this forms a thick black paste that gradually chocks up the intake.

What you COULD notice is slightly less smoke, slightly better fuel economy and not quite as much lag on take-off.

The EGR mod won't provide dramatic results, but it does make some important changes (which you can assist further by using a catch can). The soot created by poorly-burnt diesel is part of the EGR and it builds up in the pipe and lines the intake manifold. With the oil from the blow-by, this forms a thick black paste that gradually chocks up the intake.

What you COULD notice is slightly less smoke, slightly better fuel economy and not quite as much lag on take-off.

Got a question, with my EGR mod done I keep getting this rattle/ticking noise below about 1700 rpm as the car is decelerating... I've checked the hoses to that on the diagram, checked bolts etc and still am stumped. Any clues?

Mine was ticking at low (below boost) rpm too, turned out it was the side of the air box that had broken away and come loose, allowing air to enter from the engine bay - that's not a problem (except in water crossings) but it removed the baffle effect that dampened the intake sound. Check your air filter box?

Mine was ticking at low (below boost) rpm too, turned out it was the side of the air box that had broken away and come loose, allowing air to enter from the engine bay - that's not a problem (except in water crossings) but it removed the baffle effect that dampened the intake sound. Check your air filter box?

Great thanks Tony I'll onto that asap. Did it only do it under deceleration? Because mines fine under acceleration but only makes it when I'm decelerating which is weird.

Under deceleration mine was quiet, it was under light acceleration that mine did it.

If yours is doing it under deceleration it may have little to do with the air at all, since boost should be off and the engine is only breathing lightly. Under deceleration, the drive train is under a different kind of loading - almost as if you are reversing.

So, as 180degrees asked, does it do it when you are reversing the vehicle?

Under deceleration mine was quiet, it was under light acceleration that mine did it.

If yours is doing it under deceleration it may have little to do with the air at all, since boost should be off and the engine is only breathing lightly. Under deceleration, the drive train is under a different kind of loading - almost as if you are reversing.

So, as 180degrees asked, does it do it when you are reversing the vehicle?

Oh I get what he meant by the reversing, I'll give that a try. It only does it 9/10 times like its occasionally really quiet then other times its loud. Will try the reverse trick and let you know. Thanks tony and 180degrees

Gave it a try and it refused to make any noticeable noise.. I don't know, like sometimes it's noticeable with the windows down then, for instance tonight, I had the window down and I could not hear it at all. Strange.

hey guys. i read somewhere else in here that you should maybe put a boost gauge in when performing this mod?? how necessary is this really?

hey guys. i read somewhere else in here that you should maybe put a boost gauge in when performing this mod?? how necessary is this really?

The 3.0L doesn't really need a boost gauge if you're worried about over boosting because our turbo's aren't the Variable Vane Turbo like those found on the 3.0L patrols and the D22/D40 2.5L Diesels. It's a good idea to get one though just to keep an eye on what your turbo is doing :)

Cheers Old.Tony, i am in the process of doing the catch can as i notice a bit of oil around the fittings. Shes only done 87,000 ks so i want to make sure its right to last. Can you tell me what is a practical boost level for these? I have a TUNE IT chip and am currently running 16/17 psi. Waiting on funds for EGT guage.

The 3.0L doesn't really need a boost gauge if you're worried about over boosting because our turbo's aren't the Variable Vane Turbo like those found on the 3.0L patrols and the D22/D40 2.5L Diesels. It's a good idea to get one though just to keep an eye on what your turbo is doing :)

D22 with 2.5 runs a normal turbo not a VNT one

HI all new to the Nav forum, has any1 done this mod to a new 2012 D40 ST 2.5?? we are in the process of buying 1, i know the egr mod has been around for a few years now, just wondering how a new car would handle these mods?

Last edited:
Cheers Old.Tony, i am in the process of doing the catch can as i notice a bit of oil around the fittings. Shes only done 87,000 ks so i want to make sure its right to last. Can you tell me what is a practical boost level for these? I have a TUNE IT chip and am currently running 16/17 psi. Waiting on funds for EGT guage.

I think those engines generally run around 14-15psi tops, and you could probably safely get them up to 20psi without too much concern.

HI all new to the Nav forum, has any1 done this mod to a new 2012 D40 ST 2.5?? we are in the process of buying 1, i know the egr mod has been around for a few years now, just wondering how a new car would handle these mods?

The newer engines have an EGR sensor in the valve to make sure the EGR is flowing. If you do block the EGR, you have to drill a 4-6mm hole in the centre of the plate to let SOME of the exhaust through.

Rained off today so decided to do the mod.
Found that the last owner had already blocked the egr and never did the butterfly/swirl mod. Changed around the pipes and mod was done in less then 10mins. Big difference, was more responsive taking off a going about the lower gears.

Thanks too all who supplied info and photos!!

The newer engines have an EGR sensor in the valve to make sure the EGR is flowing. If you do block the EGR, you have to drill a 4-6mm hole in the centre of the plate to let SOME of the exhaust through.
there no EGR sensor. there is a position sensor so it knows if the valve is stuck or not.
egr flow is determined via MAF sensor. drop in air flow indicates egr is flowing.

Rained off today so decided to do the mod.
Found that the last owner had already blocked the egr and never did the butterfly/swirl mod. Changed around the pipes and mod was done in less then 10mins. Big difference, was more responsive taking off a going about the lower gears.

Thanks too all who supplied info and photos!!
good to hear :)

Latest posts

Back